Oil pump

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Scrane25

Oil pump

Post by Scrane25 »

Hello everyone,
The oil pump on my '53 M37 drips oil when the engine's running, so obviously it needs at least a new gasket, if not a rebuild. Which manual covers removal and replacement of the pump itself (my TM 9-8030 hardly even makes passing reference to the oil pump). I've got TM 9-1840A that covers the rebuild, and I've found at least one NOS rebuild kit being offered ("POR", so it's gotta be pricey). Is there anyone offering a rebuild?
Thanks in advance for any info!
Cal_Gary

Re: Oil pump

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Scrane,
Since I don't know the particulars of your 230 I'll go with what I do know.

If it's the military or civilian pump, removal is pretty straighforward out the side of the block opposite the distributor.

If the pump and distributor are the military version with the off-set "tang" you might need to contact John at Midwest Military, or VPW for a replacement.

If it's a civilian pump and distributor with the "Tang" centered on the shaft, those are all over eBay at decent prices.

I've not replaced mine but have the civvy distributor and pump in mine.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The seal is a simple o-ring. It us a fel-pro item.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

If it leaks just under the end plate, use that O-ring as mentioned.

If it leaks next to the block, you'll need a new gasket, pretty much the same on all the Dodge flatheads.

Be aware the oil pump drives the distributor, so make sure to pop the cap and mark where the rotor is and you get it back where it belongs.

PoW