Anyone drive the 2019 MVPA Convoy in a M37?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Pat Gray
PFC
PFC

Anyone drive the 2019 MVPA Convoy in a M37?

Post by Pat Gray »

I know this is a old topic but wanted to know if anyone drove the convoy last year. How did you do during the long days? Any issues with the truck? Any pictures you would like to share?

Thanks, Pat
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Anyone drive the 2019 MVPA Convoy in a M37?

Post by k8icu »

I did not drive it, but I am 85% sure that there were both M37s and WCs in the convoy. The main thing is that the convoys don't go fast and don't travel the interstates and take many breaks or stops so that you can let the machine rest and stretch your legs. Plus there are recovery teams and tons of people to help if you have a problem.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Pat Gray
PFC
PFC

Post by Pat Gray »

Thank you for the reply.

I was wondering how it went. Did they sleep in the back of the truck? What problems or if any did they have. What would they do different the next time. What pros and cons about the trip?

Thank you and have a great Holiday!!
Attachments
DSC01968.JPG
DSC01968.JPG (208.63 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

MVPA.org has a lot of convoy feedback, if you'd like to search it. :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Pat Gray
PFC
PFC

Post by Pat Gray »

I did some checking on it and didn't see much for personal experience during the trip. (there was a lot of where the route took them but not much on personal comments.) Some day I would like to take a long trip in my M37B1 and would like to hear how the M37 was to camp out of for a period of time.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Pat
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

ASHYERS has done some camping in his-you might send him a PM.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Since you can't jump in and out of the convoy we didn't "join" it. But we did watch it go by.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
signsup
PVT
PVT

Post by signsup »

I have never done a convoy, but was heavily involved in their local stop when the Bankhead Convoy came through GA a few years ago. The camping decision is up to you. They plan a fairly eash and short day with timed stops for breaks, and meals, entering their planned stop for the night well before dark. Each convoy member is on their own to camp in their truck, usually driving to a local campsite, not in the church parking lot, or hit the motel or hotel. Then they gather the next morning and do it al over again. You are divided into small groups of about 10 vehicles or so and assigned a buddy so that if you breakdown, you are not left on the side of the road by yourself. Each group leader has a radio to communicate with the convoy leader. Every few days there is a layover of an extra day or so for local sightseeing or if you need mechanical assistance, you will have time to make the repair. In addition, many convoy drivers have a chase vehicle, usually a wife or partner following the convoy to assist with any issues.

It's pretty well controlled, some might say over controlled, and yes, no local guys jumping in and out for a day or two, you are either in or out. So, the local club members get to park on the side of the road and wave as you go by. It's not for everyone.

And, don't forget, if you live in Texas and the convoy is from Washington DC to San Diego, you get to drive to DC, do the convoy and then drive back to TX, you can't join the convoy in TX as it goes by. It's a major commitment which is why it is usually the same click of guys. They have breakout sessions at the national convention if you attend you can get loads of information.