Applicable TM's for M37

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Applicable TM's for M37

Post by NAM VET »

For someone just beginning to restore one of these vehicles, here are the TM's and such I bought or came as originals with my own M37/M42.

The small glove compartment driver's guide, TM 9-2320-212-10. A dash 10 was the manuals for operators.

Organizational Maintenance Manual, for the unit's mechanics: TM 9-2320-212-20. 20 manuals were for the unit's mechanics.

Operation and Organizational Maintenance: TM 9-8030. 30 manuals were for higher maintenance and Depot repair/rebuild

Power Train Body and Frame for M37 and others: TM 9-8031-2

Ordnance Maintenance Engine Clutch (with change one). TM 9-1840A. Much of this is in the above 30 manual

Ordnance Maintenance. Carburetors (Carter). A small pamphlet on the BB carbs on our trucks, also a later version is "excerpts from TM 9-1826A", supersedes the 1944 version

Organizational Maintenance, Repair Parts and Special Tools list for..... TM 9-2320-212-20P. a 1972 pub, handy for all the diagrams for things like fuel lines and such, plus the military stock numbers for every nut and bolt and thing on the truck.

I have a reprint by Portrayal Press of the manual for Braden winches, esp the LU4, which is easy to read but is also in the above TM's.

As for sources, VPW has some, and others are available as reprints from further places.

These manuals were written for Army mechanics and tend to be very step-wise, but there are a few things that a different mechanic might do differently, and perhaps quicker and even better. Plus there are a few mistakes. I just found what was listed as a coarse thread on a fitting on my truck is a fine thread. Running changes were not always promptly published. The timing advance for the distributor for instance is wrong, it should be according to those who know a lot about these trucks to be 4 degrees ADVANCED, not delayed.

Every fastener when these were built was SAE, but over time, sometimes folks have substitute metric fittings, so be careful to avoid stripping threads.

Be safe, and have fun with your truck,,,, HC
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Applicable TM's for M37

Post by m-37Bruce »

Cal_Gary,
Hal's post looks like a candidate for a sticky? Lots of great info.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Cal_Gary

Re: Applicable TM's for M37

Post by Cal_Gary »

Done, thanks Bruce!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W