Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Inline Fuel Filter / Gas Filter Replacement

Post by LegionPiper »

Hi folks,
I have an old style canister filter between the Fuel Pump and the Carb.
I recently changed my Gas Lines and now the engine turns over but does not idle.
I'm guessing that dirt at the bottom of the tank has blocked the existing filter.

There are many replacements at local autoparts stores, so I am wondering if anyone knows what the flow rate is supposed to be ?
I want to avoid installing something that is going to constrict the flow of gas...

Thanks
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Inline Fuel Filter / Gas Filter Replacement

Post by NAM VET »

goodness knows, I am no carb expert. But you might try removing the idle screw, and blowing it out, and putting it back in at about 1 turn out to start. As for filters, I use a plastic one, so I can see how it looks, and have found sometimes my fuel boiling, which is why my engine would not idle. Just get one for your line, and you should be fine. I use a WIX 33002 fuel filter. You might also carefully remove your carb inlet needle and see if it has any debris. I reinstalled mine backward at first. Obviously the pointed end of the square needle goes to the outside, into the recess on the inlet fitting you just removed. The tiny red end plug is where the float presses against the needle valve controlling the fuel pressure into the carb. There are older spring loaded inlet needles, the square one does not have a spring.

Am sure others more knowledgeable than I will soon chime in for you. HC
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

stock fuel pumps are 3 to 6 psi. manual might have flow rate
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

In the past I have routinely used several clear plastic filters on my M37’s. The last M37 had a canister filter from the tank to the pump. Another clear filter before the pump and still another clear filter between the pump and the carb. These clear filters are CHEAP. Even with the fuel tank chemically cleaned, the filters still collected rusty looking “fines” from the old, rusty fuel lines. i also routed the fuel lines around the mostly worthless stock fuel filter on the fire wall.
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

m37jarhead wrote:In the past I have routinely used several clear plastic filters on my M37’s. The last M37 had a canister filter from the tank to the pump. Another clear filter before the pump and still another clear filter between the pump and the carb. These clear filters are CHEAP. Even with the fuel tank chemically cleaned, the filters still collected rusty looking “fines” from the old, rusty fuel lines. i also routed the fuel lines around the mostly worthless stock fuel filter on the fire wall.
JB
I am looking for a factory one do you want to sell yours?
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Kaegi wrote:
m37jarhead wrote:In the past I have routinely used several clear plastic filters on my M37’s. The last M37 had a canister filter from the tank to the pump. Another clear filter before the pump and still another clear filter between the pump and the carb. These clear filters are CHEAP. Even with the fuel tank chemically cleaned, the filters still collected rusty looking “fines” from the old, rusty fuel lines. i also routed the fuel lines around the mostly worthless stock fuel filter on the fire wall.
JB
I am looking for a factory one do you want to sell yours?
Sorry for the late reply. The M37 has been sold. JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.