Just got a M37

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

spctravis

Just got a M37

Post by spctravis »

It was an old firetruck. The cab is OD but the rest is still the firetruck red. I have a light bar and siren that it came with. I am attaching picture. But it seems like I can only do 3. So not sure what ones I got loaded. Would love to hear feedback on how to start. Current plan is to replace the crumbling wiring, then the wheels and tires.
Attachments
Picture5.jpg
Picture5.jpg (222.33 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Picture4.jpg
Picture4.jpg (244.54 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (181.07 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Cal_Gary

Re: Just got a M37

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome to the forum Travis! Glad to have you with us!
Recommend doing some site searches here for your many questions. The majority of us started where you are and our advice is always free! Please add your location to your profile so we know where to route you for vendor support, etc.
Lots of forum members will be standing by for updates-we also love pictures so thanks for posting them!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Welcome! That looks like a really good truck. Your wiring looks better than mine with first got it. I would drive for sort bits in the backyard and sparks and smoke would come out from under the dash. I kept a roll of black electrical tape to wrap areas where the insulation would fall off. :lol:

My truck is torn down now and getting rebuilt. It's been a slow process.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

I bought a 1951 M37 last fall. It had just enough of its electrical system repaired to get it running and operate the temperature and oil pressure gauges. It's a hybrid 12V/24V system. After a couple of months of running, the ignition switch would no longer shut it off. I had to shut down by choking the engine till it stalled, then cut off the master battery switch. Turns out, the ignition was run through the switch on the steering column (the steering column came out of an old S10 pickup). The insulation on one undersized wire had crumbled and shorted to another wire which was always on any time the battery master was on. It was a fun bit of searching to figure that out.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

That looks so familiar!

If I dial the clock back a few years that looks a lot like my truck. Not molested, but neglected. As far as projects, do you want to keep the thing running/driving or tear it down for a period of time?

If I were making a list it may go something like this:
evaluate engine with leakdown test, drop pan and clean out muck and inspect guts
inspect diffs through fill hole, replace lube once seals are done (see below)
inspect u-joints, drive shafts, replace hardware if loose (torque and loctite it!)
repack/reseal rear wheel bearings
inspect front axle and determine if it needs inner seals, adjust/rebuild steering knuckles, repack/reseal front wheel bearings
inspect steering linkage, likely rebuild joints and rebush idler arm, adjust box
replace fluids in engine, trans, transfer case
replace tires/tubes
sort out harness
tune up engine
test and tune :)

If your truck's engine and drivetrain are in good shape most of this is not expensive, just labor intensive. I would not consider trying to drive the truck without doing the above. That will likely cost you $ and may not be terribly safe. I remember the first drive in my truck after we got it running. It was a bit of an adventure, that's where the advice on the steering/tires comes from! Hopefully this helps out.

Andy
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Welcome spctravis, Looks a solid rig. Good luck with your wiring, first thing I did was fluids, swapped them all for fresh, also I went 12 volt.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Welcome, and enjoy the ride. I would start with ordering the TM's for the truck. Basically, two. One "organizational" and the other TM for virtually everything like pulling and rebuilding every component. When I got my own M37 about four years ago, I also read just about every post on this forum, going back years. Found some important info, like how to never drop the door hinge bolts into an inner panel, and so much more.

NAM VET, UpState SC
spctravis

Post by spctravis »

ashyers wrote:That looks so familiar!

If I dial the clock back a few years that looks a lot like my truck. Not molested, but neglected. As far as projects, do you want to keep the thing running/driving or tear it down for a period of time?

If I were making a list it may go something like this:
evaluate engine with leakdown test, drop pan and clean out muck and inspect guts
inspect diffs through fill hole, replace lube once seals are done (see below)
inspect u-joints, drive shafts, replace hardware if loose (torque and loctite it!)
repack/reseal rear wheel bearings
inspect front axle and determine if it needs inner seals, adjust/rebuild steering knuckles, repack/reseal front wheel bearings
inspect steering linkage, likely rebuild joints and rebush idler arm, adjust box
replace fluids in engine, trans, transfer case
replace tires/tubes
sort out harness
tune up engine
test and tune :)

If your truck's engine and drivetrain are in good shape most of this is not expensive, just labor intensive. I would not consider trying to drive the truck without doing the above. That will likely cost you $ and may not be terribly safe. I remember the first drive in my truck after we got it running. It was a bit of an adventure, that's where the advice on the steering/tires comes from! Hopefully this helps out.

Andy
My plan is to get it driving. Current plan of attack, is electrical. Then fluids. But I might just follow your list now, that seems like a good start. :D I did order a set of TMs off ebay.
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Here's a thread I put on Steel Soldiers back when I got my M37. I was kind of working up a checklist for my first start. Some pretty good info from other folks, too.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/1 ... st.169751/