Another m37 Joins the ranks

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Saberr
PVT
PVT

Another m37 Joins the ranks

Post by Saberr »

Well, another one joins the ranks. It runs and drives (reliable stopping is another story), parts on floor where from something else. Removed the wooden back board latter. Sry for image size, google photo will not let me re-size. Drove its self onto trailer and off. Its a 53. Even have glove box door with plates, missing in pic for anti theft. Apparently it was last used in the forestry, hence the high viability yellow. Rust free and 1 hole in tank that was known about. Not leaking any fluids and idles like new. Winch works as well at 4w.
Last edited by T. Highway on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
murano3
PFC
PFC

Re: Another m37 Joins the ranks

Post by murano3 »

Nice, what are your plans for it?
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
http://www.afvn.co.uk
Saberr
PVT
PVT

Post by Saberr »

Its in pretty good condition besides needing a bit of tlc. Ultimately im going to paint it a a light bluish grey with all fenders/runner/bumper to be a high gloss black. I just got a full set of 5 combat rims for it, waiting on new studs MWM. I have so far got the right grill and installed light guards, replaced water pump and head gasket, and replaced passenger cracked windshield. I also rebuilt the brakes and upgraded to dual cylinder mc, i also rebuilt fuel lines/carb, and had tank dipped, welded, and lined.. Converted over to civi style plugs and wire. I also have the mod to make distributor solid state. Keeping stock, with some eas of life modifications. Going to eventually put bigger tires on for poor man over drive. Trying to get a heater as well to put in. My next biggie will be re-wiring it, planning to go full packard. Dougles replacement parts are too expensive, and all parts are now packard. Basicaly getting it back in running shape, will not be a trailer queen. Plan to drive it and use for work and when i do handyman work. In future for sake of power and mpg ill prob upgrade to double barrel carb 32/36 progressive.

murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

Most excellent progress. The dual MC brake upgrade. Is that an off the shelf kit - do you have details as to what route you went.
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
http://www.afvn.co.uk
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice looking rig and you've already done a lot of work-keep us posted on your progress!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Saberr
PVT
PVT

Post by Saberr »

Well i got the solid state ignition it, laughable easy. Pertronix MV-161A. Made specifically for m37, its drop in, no modifications needed. I also got my combat rims assembles, just need rubber now, 1100-16 radial tubes w/brass stem are apparently unobtainable. Had some starter issues, took it out and found out its an m38 starter that cone changed out to work on m37...... So i'm now passively looking for a new starter, but old one still works. I also adjusted my brakes today, should work now.

Murano3 the mc brake upgrade is not off the shelf, but is almost so. Ugly truckling has a whole article on it. IN short its 1980 Chevy C30 1 ton truck mc. (off the shelf cylinder-cheap) You mount it just like the stock one, except you have to drill two new mounting holes. Then You unscrew brake line from front to 2 to one brass fitting and it goes into one inlet on cylinder, and you run a new line from two way to the other, that's for your rear brakes. And you also cap off the 2 splitter brass fitting that the old mc used. The most annoying part is you have to drill two new 3/4 to 1 inch holes in frame to pass new lines through to new mc, since the ports are on the side. When done, its only 4 holes and 1 short new brake line to do and it uses floor access hole to service like stock, you do loose your ability to use the fording air line though.

Its almost drivable, just need rubber :) Hoping to get it going soon, needs to be driven, think i have 4 rings that need to re-seal, getting light smoke when engine runs and is warmed up, hoping to drive it and they will re-seat. Its already driven its self on and off the trailer.