M37 Engine Donor?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

topellis
CPL
CPL

M37 Engine Donor?

Post by topellis »

I have a 1943 International M-2-4 (1Ton) that has the valves frozen from rust. I also just discovered some bozo welded the crank to the pulley. The original engine is a International Green Diamond 233 and parts to repair these are very difficult to find and if you can find them they are very expensive. To be honest it looks a whole lot like the Dodge 230. Both flatheads and the layout is roughly the same. I have no idea about bellhousings and such. I just know there are some 230's floating around from 4bt replacements. I know the 230 parts are much more plentiful and moderately priced. Does anyone here have any experience in this sort of swap? If anyone knows of any parts or parts trucks on the east coast that would be beneficial too. Most ended up on the west coast. Sorry if this is off topic here but I know old/slow/green folks usually are aware of other makes/brand military trucks.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Cal_Gary

Re: M37 Engine Donor?

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Mark,
Have you checked out other M-2-4 owners via the MVPA? Also, a Hollander Interchange manual might have some cross-over info for you. Just throwing darts, but worth a shot....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Gary,
I have spoken to a number of them. My issue is that to the best of my knowledge there aren't any in the south eastern states at all that aren't restored and running. (I don't have the money to buy one of those) I need a number of things and would really need a donor truck to even have a chance of getting this one back on the road. In particular my front frame cross member is rotted too much to support the engine and I wouldn't think it would support the steering/front end as designed. I wanted to bring one back from the grave but it is seemingly a more difficult task than with the M37. I can find anything I need in Oregon or Washington State, the issue is getting it shipped to north Florida where I live. I have a line on a frame with what I need still installed on it but it will cost me more than the parts themselves just to get it shipped to me.

I'm not sure I can cost justify that..... Thanks for the tips though... I have been on the Binder Planet web site and also the Southeastern BP forum and no one is familiar with anything much other than Scouts and tractors on there. Some greatly appreciated help on details from the BP forum that I was able to down load and save to help.

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

This guy listed an M-2-4 on the forum in FEB-did you see it?
http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... nal#p60372

We'll keep an eye out for you!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
wadefreedomvehicles
PVT
PVT

Post by wadefreedomvehicles »

I have an international M2-4 I have the engine for sale. It is unknown condition. Price is $300. Negotiable. I can pull it and load on pallet for extra. Or you can buy the whole truck. Let me know if you are interested in parts.