Timing Marks on 251

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

John_C
PVT
PVT

Timing Marks on 251

Post by John_C »

I'm an (old) rookie that's adopted a 1953 Canadian M37. Since it has no spark I'm getting ready to remove the distributor to check things out. The manual says to put the no. 1 to the TDC position on the compression stroke. The crank pulley has 3 marks about 10 degrees apart. Can i assume the center mark is TDC.
Thanks,
John
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Timing Marks on 251

Post by Jess »

That should be correct. I don't have my manual here in front of me but if you do have a copy of the RCEME Repair Manual it should show you.

RMS is the local expert out here and he will chime in once he reads your post. Update your location and post a picture of your truck. Knowing where you are will help making local contacts for parts and support. Many of us have more than one M37CDN...
John_C
PVT
PVT

Post by John_C »

Thanks for the reply Jess. I'll have to look for that manual. I have the tech manual for the U.S. Model, but it doesn't cover multiple timing marks.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

John, I have the manual at home but I'm at the cabin until next Tuesday. Most of the CDN differences are in the engine, transmission & pto if equipped with a winch. The rest is pretty much the same and the CND Repair Manual is largely a copy of the US TMs. Let me know if I can scan any particular sections for you. Many CDN trucks went south after being sold into the surplus market and you likely got one of those. SECO pulled a bunch out of Ontario from a dealer there. It would be interesting to see if the CAR/CFR number is still visible on the front left frame rail stamped just behind the bumper. Unfortunately, no records survive as they were destroyed after disposal. Have fun with your CDN.