Unexpected benefit to driving M37s

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Unexpected benefit to driving M37s

Post by jim lee »

I drive my M37 most every day. To and from work, hauling stuff, Burger Patrol with the wife. I really enjoy it, people wave a lot, its fun and never really thought much about it. Well, the other day The Wife & I drove to some scenic place in her car. Not the M37. As soon as I got out of the car I felt the difference.

"Oh!" I thought "Now I see what I've been enjoying so much." I could see how people were reacting to me. Keeping track of where I was in respect to where they were. What way I was heading etc.

You see, I'm a big guy and, for me, fancy clothes are a clean T shirt and newer Levies. I've heard I look kinda' threatening to some. But you get used to living in your own world and stop noticing. As I drove the M more and more, I never really noticed how people were changing their view of me. They just honked and waved at the truck a lot. I did notice that girls of all ages would come over and chat with me about the truck. Some even wanted rides. That was neat. Well, kinda' odd, but neat.

Then we went sight seeing in Julie's car and WHAM! It call came back. When I'm driving the M37, other's see me as part of the show. No threat there. Hop out of a Hyundai and its just some big scary guy.

The moral of the story? If you're big and scary and too lazy to change your wardrobe, dress yourself in an M37. Works a treat!

-jim lee
T. Highway

Re: Unexpected benefit to driving M37s

Post by T. Highway »

Jim Lee,

There are a few videos that pertain to the "Chick Magnet" per sauna of the M37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icmPU4eCgNE

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
wvcharlie
CPL
CPL

Post by wvcharlie »

Jim,
I know just what you are saying. I am not that intimidating looking but, the truck sure attracts attention. I can figure on taking an extra fifteen minutes talking to someone looking at my truck every time I come out of the grocery store, lumber yard or where ever. I must say I do enjoy relating information to people and occasionally hearing stories from older veterans about when they drove one.
Charlie
64 M38A1
65 M37
68 M725
101st ABN Veteran
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

You can't pick your nose while driving an M37
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

I've been chased down and cornered in a gas station so someone could ask about the truck. Its funny how some people get so worked up. Then there are others that don't seem to be able to see it at all.

And you can pick your nose. Just lean back and no one can see you.

-jim lee