Anyone put a camper on an M37?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Anyone put a camper on an M37?

Post by jim lee »

I was thinking it might be fun to put a cab-over camper on the M37. Has anyone heard of anybody trying putting a camper on a m37?

-jim lee
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Anyone put a camper on an M37?

Post by RMS »

I tried but needed a ft worth of dunage to get the overhang over the roof....she looked about as tipsy as an ambulance
.............................. use it ...............
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Someone did a topper that fit under the M37 bows for the Alaska convoy a couple of years ago-can't recall anyone putting a camper in one.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Well I certainly can't find a picture of any online. I took a tape measure and did some napkin math. It looks feasible. Used the numbers and made a quick 3D model. I think it might be a fun project. I'm figuring about 6'4" headroom cab over box. I think I'd have to have the tailgate open and stretch it out to the end. about 100" with the tailgate down.

If it was made from cored glass, like our boats, it would be really lightweight.

Donno', got to clear out some other projects first. We'll see..

-jim lee
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

jim lee wrote:Well I certainly can't find a picture of any online. I took a tape measure and did some napkin math. It looks feasible. Used the numbers and made a quick 3D model. I think it might be a fun project. I'm figuring about 6'4" headroom cab over box. I think I'd have to have the tailgate open and stretch it out to the end. about 100" with the tailgate down.

If it was made from cored glass, like our boats, it would be really lightweight.

Donno', got to clear out some other projects first. We'll see..

-jim lee

Like to see a pic of the 3d model... Sounds cool.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Many years ago, there was an older fellow in Victoria, B.C. that had a U-bilt plywood camper on his M37. His was set up for hunting but I never was able to see what he had inside. Likely simple but practical. I think if you could overcome the issues of relatively small box size, it would be a fun unit. I own a pop up truck camper and I think that type of unit design adapted to an M37 would make a great combination. There are several manufacturers that build these specifically for the smaller 4x4 truck community and theirs are in demand. A look at their designs could give you some ideas. Being able to use your boat building techniques is a big advantage for strength and weight considerations. Marine quality fittings and fixtures would make it last as long as the truck.

Jess
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Here's the 3D model I came up with last night. I showed it to one of my guys here at work and he got all spun up. He's thinking the hunting crowed would really like it.

The idea is just a plain lightweight fiberglass box. White on inside and outside. Kinda' a flat white inside. You can paint the outside whatever you want. Also you can add whatever you want to the inside, cut in your windows, vent etc. Build your own. Or do people want the interiors?

Its about 6'4" standing headroom. Around 8' wide. It mounts with the tailgate down and is about flush with that. The driver's side indent needs to be brought back a little 'cause I forgot to clear the fuel filler tube.

Thoughts?

-jim lee
Last edited by jim lee on Fri May 20, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Jim, That looks pretty nice. It would be interesting to see it mocked up on an M37 if you have software to do that. I have a friend who uses a comm shelter on his but it not exactly comfortable since its quite small. Something to get out of the rain with anyway. From my research when buying my pop up truck camper, most builders use the interior cabinets and storage to increase the rigidity without excessive weight. If you left it empty, like a commercially available 'Space Cap' or similar full truck canopy, the purchaser could fit it out however they wanted. The company I worked for had a lot of those, because we heated them for storing, hauling and securing expensive electronic test equipment. They were white and a flat off white inside, likely molded in two pieces, top and bottom.
What would you consider using the overhead for? Bunk or storage? If it was to be a bunk, then a pull out could make it larger. This is common on the smaller units that I looked at. I think my unit is 7.5' wide and I wouldn't want it wider due to visibility and clearance for those tight spots and its on a full size GMC truck.

Keep at it, you may have a winner...

Jess
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Why not get the commo shelter box and convert it? They were made for the M37 so they'd appear correct for the period and you could do the inside any way you want.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Yeah, the military boxes for the M37 look pretty small and heavy to me. (52 M-42 made me go look at some already.) My thought is that I only have 90+ HP and I want it big enough to sleep a few people and be somewhat comfortable. I'd like to be able to slip it into the bed when its camping time and slip it back out when its time to be an army truck again. Also, if I'm going off-road I don't want something heavy back there floppin' around.

As for structure, the plan is to use cored fiberglass like we used in the ultra light sail boats. If you mold it under vacuum, you get an incredible strength to weight ratio boost. Our 26 ft sailboat was only 2,200 lbs. completely loaded, ready to race. 850 lbs. of that was in the keel. And the stuff is rigid as heck.

I just got the go ahead by "She who must be obeyed" ( five minutes ago.) but I'm still a little nervous about the whole thing.

We'll see..

Edit : I just ordered one of the 1/35 scale model M37 kits. Now I can just 3D print a scaled down camper from the cad file and see how it fits/looks.

-jim lee
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

You could also do a off road camper with popout sides or something like a caravan. Google Land Rover camper for some ideas on what can be done on a short wheelbase vehicle.

Rick
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Here's a 1/35 scale 3D print of the camper shape.

Theoretically this is the perfect size for that 1/35 scale M37 model kit.

-jim lee
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

looks good jim, what CAD and printer are you using?
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Missed that last question, sorry 'bout that.

CAD program is an older version of SolidWorks. For printing we have a couple makerbot 3D printers at work. They were used a LOT when we were making & selling the quadcopters. The CAD program gives area, and that calculates, using napkin math, to a weight of around 200lbs. for the shell. Yes I used math, yes it does seem a bit light. But, with reinforcements for high load areas maybe 270lbs? So possibly less than 300 lbs? If we're careful.

The section over the cab was planned for sleeping. I think its too small though. I see what RMS is saying about the height. The distance from the bed to the top of the cab seems a bit more than your standard pickup truck.

Another issue is the spare tire on the early trucks. On my machine it sits in the bed. What to do? I always thought the WWII ambulance with the spare built into the driver side was cool looking. So I'm trying a version set up like that. I can post a picture hopefully tomorrow.

-jim lee
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Got the model. You know, that little model truck is just kicking my behind!

Here's the not complete but "I'm done with it" chassy.

Got the length wrong. But you can see the direction I'm thinking in. I'm going to re-measure things and recheck the dimensions of the 3D model. I love how I can do "what ifs" with the 3D model printed out and fitted to the scale truck.

-jim