WTB m37 restoration guide

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

WTB m37 restoration guide

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

any body have one they will part with
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Re: WTB m37 restoration guide

Post by rickv100 »

Save your money and get a copy of the Army rebuild manuals. If you search the forum you will see that the book is not highly regarded, it is a collection of articles from Military Vehicles Magazine from when David Ahl owned the magazine.

It is probably cheaper to get back issues of Military Vehicles magazine.

Rick
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Ditto what Rick said........not really a restoration guide at all. I got a signed copy and met Mr. Ahl at the first MV meet I went to after buying my first M37. Nice guy but said he was just about to reprint the guide on CD........guess that never happened. To be fair, their aren't many books out there specifically about the M37. Most are MV books what mention the M37 and have a pic or two. The Restoration Guide is all M37, but it contradicts itself in many places. It talks about restoring the M37 the "right way"..........and then describes using bed liner, the wrong paint, 12V conversions, alternate tires, etc. It really is just a collection of articles under one cover. If you're looking for a step by step "how to restore" book there really isn't one. A few folks have put together photo documentaries on their restorations on the web.....you have to hunt for them......but they're there.

regards,
bob
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

funny :lol:
your right, I think ill pass on that one
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

To be fair, the photos in the guide offer a great deal of detail not readily found elsewhere. It's still an interesting read even though it's mis-titled as a resto guide.
Just my 2 cents,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Yup.........Gary is correct. It was an interesting read, just not what I expected from the title. From what's inside it should have been titled something like "A Practical Guide to Owning an M37". That's because it talks about things like adding locking hubs, how to put locks on the doors, Installing a keyed ignition switch, better tires than the original NDTs, converting to 12v electrics..........all stuff that makes the truck more practical to own and drive. It doesn't describe how to do a concourse restoration describing which bolt heads were used where, where the assembly line markings were put........etc, ect. You get the picture. You'll run across a copy of it when you attend the MV shows in your area. Take a few minutes and thumb through it. Let us know what you think.

The part that I don't get is why it's so expensive a book to buy. I get that it's a limited print and that there are more M37 restorers coming online everyday.......but someone needs to tell these folks the King really has no clothes on. :shock:

regards,
bob
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

I looked at his website and I wasn't thrilled

I cant believe he painted his whole od then sprayed half of it white

it looked worse than a county truck :shock:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That pattern is actually correct for the 18th Airborne representation Dave sought when he had the truck painted, according to his comments in the mag, and my unit at FT Ord during the same timeframe had a similar paint scheme. As an additional FYI, that's the M715 Series paint pattern.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

oh :)
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

See? The guide DOES have some value :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

years ago there was a G 741 owned guide that was being passed around the forum here. I read and passed on. Not sure were its at now. Here's the link to the topic. http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=816.
Gerry

53 M37
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

Gerry wrote:years ago there was a G 741 owned guide that was being passed around the forum here. I read and passed on. Not sure were its at now. Here's the link to the topic. http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=816.
thanks ill try to get my hands on it that way
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Will whoever had it last please 'fess up and give us the opportunity to rotate it around? Send me a PM if you'd prefer; the objective is not to place blame but to share the Guide as agreed to when it was borrowed.
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Not me! I got my own copy about 7 years ago. It's okay as an initial guide but I get more out of the Army manuals now. The other day I did dig it up to take a look at those locking door handles converted from garage door handles. I found an old handle set that matched those shown in the book on e-pay.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1