Removable Doors?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Removable Doors?

Post by k8icu »

Has anyone made their trucks doors removable? I know a wrench and a few minutes will make theme removable, but I'm talking about like jeep doors that are quick and easy on and off. If so do you have any picts to share on how you did this? Thanks, Joe
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Re: Removable Doors?

Post by rickv100 »

Drive out the door pins with a hammer and punch, done. The manual prefers you don't remove the hinges since they are adjusted already.

I have seen photos of doors removed on M37's in Vietnam. Made exiting the vehicles easier in case a grenade was thrown in.

Having driven with the doors off, I have to ask, how are you planning to stay in the truck? Have you added seat belts?

Rick
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I'm a very long way from driving the truck. It still looks like someone threw a grande into my garage and the truck to the brunt of it...LOL! :mrgreen:

But in my concept truck I'm looking to make it so I could remove the doors easily if I wanted to and yes I will have seat belts in the truck. I tried removing the hinge pins on the passenger door but it wont budge. May need to use some different methods like heat and penetrating oil.

I'm also looking for a way to lighten the doors as they are heavy to be throwing on and off. Does anyone have any thoughts to that?
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

Heat and penetrating oil will work just tap the pin up from the bottom of the hinge. They may be held on with multiple coats of paint.

You can fabricate replacement doors using whatever materials you want. I have seen doors made from expanded metal and metal box tubing.

Rick
superbee70
PFC
PFC

Post by superbee70 »

Check out the two piece doors for keeps that bestop makes. That's what I plan on doing with mine. Light metal frame covered in canvas. And I second the seat belts if you take the doors off.