tires and rims.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

junkyardog
PFC
PFC

tires and rims.

Post by junkyardog »

I'm sure this is an old topic and I'm sorry for dragging it out again. i want a taller tire on my m37 the 1100 x16 s i have are just to dry rotted to be on the road... is there a close second. does anybody run the hummer tires on 16.5 rims, who might have the rims ... how about 315 or 325 x16 tires. ... hard to believe a tire company wouldn't make 5000 of these 1100x16 tires and see how they do .. I'm sure they would sell..mabey to much of a upfront cost..
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Re: tires and rims.

Post by CSCameron »

I contacted the guys that are making the Yellow Sea 9.00x16 Michelin clones about making an 11.00x16 clone. They were looking into it but did not think there was enough demand. They posted on the power wagon forum to gauge demand and did not get any response! I thought more folks would be interested in this but sadly no one spoke up. I too would love for them to make them, my 11.00x16 xzl's are new looking but in the AZ heat, god knows how long they'll last.

I'll ask what the minimum number of tires would be for a run, just to see. I'm sure they would sell them once word got out that they were available. I know I would buy at least one set.
junkyardog
PFC
PFC

Post by junkyardog »

thanks that would be awsum
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

I have 11x16 XL on my truck and looked high and low for a set in better shape and couldn't find a single "good" tire. If there was an 11x16 clone I would have jumped on it. Instead I went with the Michelin XML 325/85R16, still hard to find but at least there are a few good ones out there if you can afford them. That's another clone I'd like to see :D maybe in a slightly lighter weight tire.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I would buy a couple sets. Since I only get 5K miles out of 900-16's, I'll go through a few sets in a few years. The added speed, offset by the loss of torque, would be nice around here. Love to be able to go faster than 42mph on the highway. (And, if they are NDTs, they look cool!)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

just me wrote:I would buy a couple sets. Since I only get 5K miles out of 900-16's, I'll go through a few sets in a few years. The added speed, offset by the loss of torque, would be nice around here. Love to be able to go faster than 42mph on the highway. (And, if they are NDTs, they look cool!)
They would look just like these, only bigger! These are the 9.00r16 Yellow Sea Clones on eBay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230973386301?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The tubeless bit would be an issue for me. Putting tubes in a tubeless tire is asking for trouble, and I sure can't afford those rare 16" tubeless wheels. (unless those ARE tube type radials.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

They are tube type radials. They come with radial tubes and flaps.
squeeky0_50
PVT
PVT

Post by squeeky0_50 »

I ran 13/38/16 super swamper tsl tires since 1988 and they are still on the vehicle. These are tubless tires, but i ran tubes in them with new flaps, never had a problem. Ran them on budd split rims. They are also bias ply.
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

Well, I heard back from the Yellow Sea clone guys on the possibility of an 11.00r16 clone. They said a minimum run of 1000 tires is needed to justify the cost of making the mold. There probably is enough demand out there but it would take a while to drum it up. So, probably not going to happen. :(
scooterbob
PVT
PVT

Post by scooterbob »

Food for thought...MRW (Marsh Racing Wheels) make rims to your specifications that match the 5 lug bolt pattern. A friend had them sized to mount HUMVEE tires and they work fine. $120 each.