M37CDN project

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37 CDN

M37CDN project

Post by M37 CDN »

Hello,

First post on this forum... :)

I have been thinking about a M37CDN restoration project for a few weeks now. Everybody I talk to tries to talk me out of it: it is a money pit, you don't know what your getting into, you don't have the time or space to do it... you probably heard it all. I have no experience in vehicle restoration but I am obviously willing to learn the hard way... :) but again, I don't know what I am getting into.

The goal is to restore it to an as close as possible original condition with the exception of the paint color, tires and a few other details.

So I figured I would ask you guys some advice.

-What are your personnal experience?
-Is it true that a $2k truck will turn into a $10k project?
-Can you break down the cost of a typical restoration (prepping, painting, engine overhaul, worn out or missing parts) to give me a better idea?
-What should I do myself and what is not worth doing itself?

Thanks for your input
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: M37CDN project

Post by Jess »

Cost of a restoration will vary depending on where you are relative to local parts supply, condition and how complete your starting point is and what you can do yourself. If you are in Canada, there are parts available, so shipping and the $ exchange rate are not big factors. In my opinion, you can get one running and stopping for a few thousand, but for not a lot more, purchase a complete nearly finished truck. Like hot cars, there is always the '$10k invested, for sale for $2500' factor to consider. A proper, complete go through would easily run into 4 or 5K over your starting point. Parts for some bits of your CDN will be scarce, but can be found nos or good used and most parts are the same as US produced trucks, so lots of sources for those. To get an idea of what you might have to spend, check the parts at VPW or Midwest Military and make a list of what you think you will need. If you are in Canada, Brian Asbury still has M37 parts for sale.

There are lots of members on this forum that have been through this and can give you a realistic figure. Consider updating your profile, so we have some idea where you are located. You may find you are in the centre of a lot of other owners and available parts. We all like pictures, so post up a couple of your starting point. Since yours is a CDN, I would be interested in the serial number and CAR of your unit, as I have been collecting that info for quite a few trucks over the years.

Jess
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi M37 CDN,

Funny thing your question......this weekend I was talking to a guy who's restoring a truck in Canada. A bit contrary to what Jess said, he complained a lot about what it cost to ship parts from the US to Canada and gave lots of examples. YIKES! You didn't mention oi your in Canada or the US, but I guess it does make a difference. Brian Asbury is THE man if you're in Canada. Unfortunately I was just told Brian recently had a heart attack and need 4 stints put in. He missed the annual Red Ball meet, but we all hope he makes a full recovery!!! You'd do wise to get to know Brian when he's recovered.

Restoring an M37 is different from most other vehicles. I can't tell you what it will cost, but I can tell you you'll learn a lot and make some great friends. When you're old and gray and look back on it I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did it. This forum is a real wealth of knowledge and wisdom.......don't be shy about using it.

Welcome aboard. Has anyone told you how to post pics???

:O)

regards,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

M37 CDN, welcome to G741, glad to have a new member. I have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Do you have any automotive repair experience at all ? How much of the restoration work do you plan to do yourself and how much contracted out to professionals? What is your understanding of the meaning of restoration? Do you have a good selection of auto tools, not just a socket set, wrenches and the like? By answering some of these we will get a better understanding of your situation and how we can help you.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

w30bob wrote:Hi M37 CDN,

A bit contrary to what Jess said, he complained a lot about what it cost to ship parts from the US to Canada and gave lots of examples. YIKES!
:O)

regards,
bob
I wasn't clear in my response and meant that if he is in Canada, he could avoid the excessive costs of buying from the US by dealing with Canadian suppliers. Brian Asbury being one, but there are others if you look around. Here on the west coast, we have a small network of like minded people that can help out. Same in the east. The present state of exchange between US and Canadian currency (+/- 30%) makes anything from the US pretty expensive. Add to that anything shipped by courier like UPS or FedEx, the brokerage they charge makes it outrageous. If you live near a border crossing, you can get a mail and freight drop on the US side and import it yourself. If its shipped USPS, then Canada Post only charges around $9. to clear it.

I'm sorry to hear that Brian Asbury has had health issues and hope it all goes well for him.

Anyway, welcome to the group and have fun whatever you decide. Check out posts by RMS on this site and see what he has done with his projects.

Jess
M37 CDN

Post by M37 CDN »

Thanks for all the feedbacks

I am in Canada, so getting parts from the US will definitely be costly.

I will definitely keep in touch with you Jess if I go ahead with this project as I will probably need some of the contacts you suggested to help me get some parts. On the other hand I will probably have some parts to sell also as I am looking to buy more than one truck... :lol:

Regarding my repair experience, I do most of the usual repairs on my cars : timing belts, brakes, suspension components, etc... haven't played in an engine or transmission yet though. I do not have welding or painting equipment, but I am willing to get whatever I need to save some money. I usually rather pay for equipment that I will keep than paying someone to do a job for me... unless it is too complicated.

Since I only have a one car garage, I found a place, an old barn not too far away that I will be able to use to assemble finished parts onto the frame as I progress. Individual parts will be reworked in my garage and transported to the assembly location. At least it is the plan for now...
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

I'd be glad to help out if I can. Since you are in the east, there are options for you that will be closer than where I am located. Out here, rust never sleeps and good used body parts are getting more difficult to find. There are a few M37 guys with parts to sell in Ontario. Check Kijiji or Craigs List regularly for your area. Even if you don't find what you need, you may make a local contact that can introduce you to others. Some manuals are posted on line or can be purchased on CD. Its a good investment and will help you see what and where before the tools come out. I have the RCEME Repair manual and could copy it for you. Keep in mind that US production and CDN built trucks differ in the engines, transmissions and associated PTO. The rest is the same. CDN manuals will often have copied the US TMs so diagrams are sometimes misleading for engines and transmissions. A lot of stuff like seals and bearings can be sourced locally through any decent supplier.

Send me a PM with your email when you start to get into this and I will try to give you some support and contacts.

Jess
M37 CDN

Post by M37 CDN »

Jess wrote: I have the RCEME Repair manual and could copy it for you.
Are you referring to the D114 manual? If so I found it along with a few other manuals.
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

Before you start your project, what stage are you in life? Reason I ask is projects tend to stall when marriage, kids and life get in the way. From experience parts can get lost in moves and interest is lost.

Rick
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

M37 CDN wrote:
Jess wrote: I have the RCEME Repair manual and could copy it for you.
Are you referring to the D114 manual? If so I found it along with a few other manuals.
That's the one. You will find it useful along with any TMs that you come across. The parts book (whatever its called, my first pages are missing) is useful if you come across a copy. Check Steel Soldiers for other TMs and related documents.

Jess
M37 CDN

Post by M37 CDN »

rickv100 wrote:Before you start your project, what stage are you in life? Reason I ask is projects tend to stall when marriage, kids and life get in the way. From experience parts can get lost in moves and interest is lost.

Rick
Yeah... That's another limitation I have... Having 3 young kids I realize this project won't go as quick as it could.