Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Anybody have a VPW repro tailgate?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Has anyone bought (or seen in person) the reproduction M37 tailgate from Vintage Power Wagons? I'm curious to know if it's an exact reproduction or if it differs in any way from an original. Reason I'm curious is I've run across some pretty nice and straight original tailgates, but the price was always pretty high. For a few bucks more I told myself I could get a new one from VPW. But that's assuming their repro is correct. So what say ye?

thanks,
bob
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Anybody have a VPW repro tailgate?

Post by ZGjethro »

They were too pricey for me, so I welded up a tailgate frame and bolted 5.5" slabs of red oak to it, kind of matching my side boards. My truck is no longer in military colors, so non-stock is fine with me.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I have a repro tailgate on mine but do not know the manufacturer as I bought it from Kurt Hirte years ago. Kurt doesn't hit the forum very much anymore but I recall that he got it from Brigand aka Bob Thompson who still frequents the forum-Bob, do you recall where it came from? If you can confirm it came from VPW then I can speak to the details for w30Bob.
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I think MWM makes a new tailgate, too. You might give John Bizal a call.
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

I bought a used tailgate from MWM last year. He didn't mention making new ones, but never hurts to call them.
The one I got is a little bent up, twisted. But will work when all straightened. And lots better than what I had, which was a homemade one.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We have used a couple of the VPW reproduction gates on high end M37 projects. They are the best ones I've seen; well built, fit nice, and based on the quality of the piece, and the labor time involved in rebuilding a damaged one, price isn't bad at all.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Ray505
PVT
PVT

Post by Ray505 »

Speaking of tailgates. Does anyone know where I can get a center support for the tailgate. Mine is missing and I would like to replace it. Thanks.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Ray505 wrote:Speaking of tailgates. Does anyone know where I can get a center support for the tailgate. Mine is missing and I would like to replace it. Thanks.
One of the vendors offers that in reproduction also. We've used them, good piece; can't recall right now who it was, probably VPW.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com