Oil Filter

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

Oil Filter

Post by Bearofalltrades »

Hi all; I joined the ranks of M37 owners. This my first on of these trucks.
The first thing I would like to do is find out if my truck runs. Before I do this I want to change the oil and filter.
Are the oil filters easy to get and where can I get one?
What oil is recommended?

Thanks for your help
Tom
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Oil Filter

Post by Elwood »

You can order from the usual sources (Midwest Military isn't too far from you, and visiting is definitely worth the trip). Or if you have a NAPA store in town, a Napa Gold 1100 filter fits. Or a Wix 51100.

Whichever filter you get, check that it has the correct heavy cover gasket. And remember to drain the filter canister (assuming yours has a drain plug).

The search function will give you more answers than you want about which oil to use. :lol: I think that this one is worth reading: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... lla#p44015
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

Post by Bearofalltrades »

Thanks for the info.
On the type of oil, I guess I should have explained it better.
I was looking for what weight of oil would work best?
I'm just going to pick up some cheap oil to try and start with.I just want clean oil in it.
I don't know how long the truck has been sitting or how old the oil is.

Tom
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

There is some discussion in that linked topic, but a common weight seems to be 15W-40. Shell Rotella or Chevron DELO are the usual non-synthetic brands mentioned.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776