New Modification: Rear Work Lights

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Re: New Modification: Rear Work Lights

Post by F18hornetm »

I think the brackets look nice, they/You did a good job on them, nice bends. A press brake is nice, All i have is sheet metal brake, which is great but not for that thick. I'd have to heat/beat :lol: which turns out pretty good with practice
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Looking at your other work from the pictures you've posted I'm sure any brackets you "beat" out would look just great. You obviously know what you are doing, whereas I just stumble along behind my nose and depend on the kindness of strangers to help me get the job done. :wink:
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

52 M-42 wrote:Elwood, have you looked at the "trouble lights / map lights" that were part of the equipment on these trucks? The original ones plug into the receptacle on the lower right side of the dash. They work great and some even had a folding stand on the bottom and a hook for hanging them. The cords are long enough to go all around and under the truck.

The receptacle in the bed is a 3 prong (only 2 are used, A and B, I believe) and little overkill for a trouble light; but it would work.
I have the dash receptacle, too, but haven't bought one of those map lights. I never seem to be willing to pay what they go for online. :lol: That and I want something that I'm not worried about being careful with.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

52 M-42: Thank you a lot, but Ive been blessed to have many years of turning wrenches and fabricating things for a living.
Its not who made your parts on your truck, its your attention to detail that I'm impressed with. Mine will never have the attention to detail yours has. Shoot even your bolts are painted a different color! :D
I've saved some of your pictures for reference since mine has parts missing or different pieces and its been a great resource.
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Thanks, F18hornetm!

If that is your wife's truck, you might find you end up paying more attention to the "details" than you planned. :lol:

BTW, the bolts were cad plated at bulk rate which is why they are a different color. All the parts were painted individually (off the truck) after they were sand blasted so most of the bolts never got painted. I kinda' like the way they look (it almost looks riveted from a distance), so they just got left that way.

As for the pictures, let me know if there is ever anything you'd like to see. I have a bunch on the computer I've taken for other people and I can always take more. I also have some pdf's of cad drawings I've made of various parts I've had built. If you are interested in those, just let me know.
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Thank you and I may take you up on the offer when I run across something not sure where it should be or a better idea.
Yes, its her truck, she found it and bought it. She has been driving our M931 to the shows [wings and wheels, touch a truck etc] and loves that, but this is smaller and something she can use to run to the bank or the store on a pretty day for fun. Also we've never seen an M37 around here so its kind of unique.
That's interesting about the bolts and I think they look great. Really stands out and makes the truck look sharp.
I really need to get back to work on it, between my sons new house and the cold weather here . Not had much free time.
Thanks again
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Nice addition. Good job on the brackets.
Your truck is looking good. I still have all those pics you sent me a few years back.
Keep up the good work :mrgreen:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Thanks, David!

Just a bunch of little projects that I try to make sure are all just "bolt-ons" so that they can be removed in the future to bring the truck back to a standard configuration without additional holes.

How's your truck and trailer doing?
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

My rig and trailer are sitting in the drive under wraps right now. I have not done much tinkering as we are still getting the house in order. We have been enjoying some downtime after our move.
Come spring I am going to square a few P/M issues away on my truck and work on getting the NC title for my trailer. I am looking forward to some Sunday drives and getting to know the local car show folks. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

Rich
CPL
CPL

Post by Rich »

52 m42,
Your rear work lights look great. nice job on the brackets..

HingsingM37,
There is a Military Truck show at Denton farm Park in Denton NC.
April 17-19 2015. Hope to see you there.
Rich Szklany
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Thanks, Rich! :D
wvcharlie
CPL
CPL

Post by wvcharlie »

Those lights look great. I think I saw the rear strap on one of your previous posts. That is absolutely one of the best ideas ever! It makes leaning over the tailgate to grab something in the bed so much easier! I modified your design a little. I took half the straps under the pintel and half over and sewed them in place. that way, when you step on one side, the slack doesn't pull through. Guys, if you haven't done this you should. Easy, cheap and easy to remove.
Charlie
64 M38A1
65 M37
68 M725
101st ABN Veteran
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Hi Charlie!

That strap idea is great! That slack pull through was great fun when I was 3 or 4 years old playing on something like that, but it is just not as much fun at 63 years old with my hands full of a bunch of heavy stuff leaning over the back of the truck. :D

I'm going to mark the strap this afternoon and leave it to get stitched next week.

Thanks for the improvement!
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

That's a neat idea.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Rich, Thanks for the heads up in the Denton show. I hope I can make it however we may be in Ohio as it is also the same weekend as my mother-in-laws 90th Birthday party. Of course we all know which event I'd rather attend :lol: :mrgreen:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078