I saved one from the scrap pile

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

I saved one from the scrap pile

Post by Bearofalltrades »

I picked up a M37 today.I've wanted one sense I saw the one my High School had. I don't know what year it is.
I managed to get the numbers off the data plates,they were rusted and painted over.
the first number at the top is 2320-543-4632
The next one down was L245-3607 which matches the number on the frame.
The contract no 018-15711
There is a number to the right that's T-245A I don't know what this one is.
It is a winch truck
I hope this is enough information to figure out what year my truck is.I couldn't find a build/delivery date.
Down the road I'm going to have to get new data plates for this truck.
Thanks for your help.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: I saved one from the scrap pile

Post by Elwood »

Welcome to the g741 forum, and congrats on your truck.

The first number, 2320-543-4632 is (I think, I don't have the right book handy to confirm) the federal stock number for your M37.

The second number, L245-3607, is the serial number for your truck, which should be an M37B1, and was built in July 1958. For a chart of the serial numbers, see the "Production Dates" tab at the top center of the forum, or click here: http://www.g741.org/ProductionDates.html.

The next number is the federal contract number under which the truck was ordered from Chrysler.

The last number is the engine code as assigned by Dodge. It might match the engine code, which is the prefix of the engine serial number (along with a four digit suffix which is the S/N) and which is stamped on a machined pad on the left front of the engine block, behind where the generator should be. Since these engines were swapped around a bit, don't be surprised (or concerned) if your engine is a T245 instead of a T245A. If it has a different T series code, however, the engine has likely been swapped from a different Chrysler product. Since the M37 and M37B1 engines were different in several important details, it's essential to know if you have a military engine, or something from a civilian Chrysler product.

You might also find a body code tag screwed or riveted to the engine side of the firewall.

Before you order replacement data plates, you might want to verify the engine serial number on the cylinder block, and the frame serial number, which is stamped into the frame rail on the outside left front.

These two threads might be useful reading:

Original factory build card from Chrysler: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... build+card

Manuals to get, etc.: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6911

There's lots of good info here on the forum, and the search function is very useful. Also, the tabs at the top have lots of good info.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

Thanks for the info. Now I have to figure out how to get a WI title for it.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome aboard and thanks for saving another one! Our forum mate and moderator T.Highway is in Wisconsin and should have some expertise for you-right Bert? :)

Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Tom,

I sent you a PM with a link for the State Patrol and Salvage Titles. I hope that this helps, if I can help in any other way just let me know.
I'd say stop by, but I had to Google Cameron to see that you are 5+ hours north and west of my AO. Do you even need a Title and plates being that far north in the woods? :lol:

Welcome to the site and the OD addiction. I know that everyone here is dying to see pictures of your truck.

Gary, I got it covered 8)

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

Thanks for the info, Bert

Even up in the backwater of WI you still need a title and plates.I'm about a hour and a half from lake Superior.
I would like to post some pics, I just haven't been able to figure it out.I would be nice if I could do it right from my computer, without
having to put them on another site.

Tom
Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

I posted pics of my truck in the album under Tom Amundson :D
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Tom,

Nice looking truck your starting with, since you only have a little bit of snow, have you started working on it? :mrgreen:

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

Thanks Bert. No I haven't started to work on yet.I have a CJ5 project that has priority right now.
Plus it's cold outside lol I don't have a garage to work in.But I will start to tinker with soon.I'm hoping to find out if it runs.