L head mods keeping the info alive

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Re: L head mods keeping the info alive

Post by Kaegi »

if you are .080 your comp. ratio is way over 8 now. more volume into same size combustion chamber = higher compression. if you shaved the head a bunch then maybe over 9 to 1 8)
M37N55
PVT
PVT

Post by M37N55 »

Kaegi wrote:if you are .080 your comp. ratio is way over 8 now. more volume into same size combustion chamber = higher compression. if you shaved the head a bunch then maybe over 9 to 1 8)

Interesting... now more then ever do I need to find that spec sheet.. This days off.. I will find it. So now the question is...
How will this engine run on single Intake-Exhaust and if I keep the single what carb should I go with? If I find a dual/dual , which is what I would like but like RMS said they are rare... But after looking at the link to manifolds by Moose... 3 carbs and daul exhaust... wow 8) any thoughts on this set up and how hard is it to set up a 3 pack of carbs and run on the streets/trails?
1951 M37 Canadian
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Two carbs, fairly easy. Three carbs much more fiddly. Setting up one as the master carb and having linkage setup so you can adjust individually, makes it easier. Dual carb manifolds are available new. Carbs are available new or you can find a pair of B&B Carters. There are 3 into 1 X 2 iron exhaust available new.
Valve train stuff will be harder to source.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
M37N55
PVT
PVT

Post by M37N55 »

I have some up close pictures of the intake on my L head, I've noticed in some pictures of other builds that there is no plumbing like I have on mine. I think this extra plumbing is for cold weather starts. what do you all think?
I found my spec sheet for this engine and I'm going to have to phone my engine builder to clear up the details but hear is the part number used for the pistons... E279 ? Hope that says something... I will get back to this after my engine builder help me understand a few things.
277in ex 1.jpg
277in ex 1.jpg (79.92 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
277in ex 2.jpg
277in ex 2.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
1951 M37 Canadian
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Yes, your intake manifold appears to have the small diameter tubing and fittings for the engine priming system, although the connection from the "T" nozzle at the Nos. 5 and 6 intake manifold port to the pump in the cab is either missing or not visible. Or is the engine not yet installed in the frame?

The larger tube from the back of the cylinder block under the exhaust manifold, through the fording valve, and into the intake manifold is the crankcase breather, although it's routed outside of the exhaust manifold instead of the usual arrangement between the manifold and the block. Maybe the 251s are plumbed differently?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
M37N55
PVT
PVT

Post by M37N55 »

Elwood wrote: although the connection from the "T" nozzle at the Nos. 5 and 6 intake manifold port to the pump in the cab is either missing or not visible. Or is the engine not yet installed in the frame?
Yes, the engine is not in the frame yet, when I bought the truck it was missing parts, like 24V Dist, wires and plugs, air cleaner, generator, and obviously more stuff as I go... :( . My decision to keep the original engine vs say a modern 318 is turning out to be harder then I thought. But going for a working show piece is the ultimate goal.

So this priming system must be tied into the fuel system some how, I would think that it would come from some where at the fuel pump. The fording valve must tied into the chock when starting the engine.. If anyone has pictures of there Intake system to compare to .. would much appriecated :D
1951 M37 Canadian
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

M37N55 wrote:
Elwood wrote: although the connection from the "T" nozzle at the Nos. 5 and 6 intake manifold port to the pump in the cab is either missing or not visible. Or is the engine not yet installed in the frame?
Yes, the engine is not in the frame yet, when I bought the truck it was missing parts, like 24V Dist, wires and plugs, air cleaner, generator, and obviously more stuff as I go... :( . My decision to keep the original engine vs say a modern 318 is turning out to be harder then I thought. But going for a working show piece is the ultimate goal.

So this priming system must be tied into the fuel system some how, I would think that it would come from some where at the fuel pump.
I have a copy of the instruction sheet and kit contents, and can send those to you if you PM me your email address.

Here's what's in the kit. There are two different installation schematics, depending on whether or not your truck has the early production fuel filter mounted on the voltage regulator bracket. In either case, the priming system uses a hand pump mounted on the dash to the left of the steering column, and draws fuel from the supply line on the left frame rail, before it reaches the mechanical fuel pump on the engine block.

The fording valve must tied into the chock when starting the engine.. If anyone has pictures of there Intake system to compare to .. would much appriecated :D
The fording system uses a separate knob on the dash (between the throttle control above and the choke below) with two cables to control the two fording valves. It is not tied into the choke. There are some good photos in the photo albums of the set up - the search function should find them.
Last edited by Elwood on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
M37N55
PVT
PVT

Post by M37N55 »

Thanks Elwood, PM sent.
1951 M37 Canadian
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Found an interesting thread today, unfortunately there was not resolution! Possibly some good info though...

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea ... &showall=1

The orig. poster was working w/ a 230. I wonder what finally happened with the project. I'm going to check out a few of the books mentioned, I'm getting more interested in building a motor for the M.

Andy
M37N55
PVT
PVT

Post by M37N55 »

ashyers wrote:Found an interesting thread today, unfortunately there was not resolution! Possibly some good info though...

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea ... &showall=1

The orig. poster was working w/ a 230. I wonder what finally happened with the project. I'm going to check out a few of the books mentioned, I'm getting more interested in building a motor for the M.

Andy
Interesting... thanks for posting
1951 M37 Canadian
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

I purchased the following books for some summer reading :) :

Flathead Facts from:
http://www.flatheadv8.org/jwl.htm

Flathead Ford V8 from:
http://www.roadrunnerengineering.com/Bo ... vices.html

Both are pretty good and give me a bit more insight into Flatheads vs. OHV stuff I'm more familiar with. The Fords have a slightly different combustion chamber layout, but I suspect there's enough overlap in the design to make the info relevant.
M37N55
PVT
PVT

Post by M37N55 »

ashyers wrote:I purchased the following books for some summer reading :) :

Flathead Facts from:
http://www.flatheadv8.org/jwl.htm

Flathead Ford V8 from:
http://www.roadrunnerengineering.com/Bo ... vices.html

Both are pretty good and give me a bit more insight into Flatheads vs. OHV stuff I'm more familiar with. The Fords have a slightly different combustion chamber layout, but I suspect there's enough overlap in the design to make the info relevant.

Cool info... thanks
1951 M37 Canadian
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

We'll see if we can apply any of it...

http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7489

I'll post what we learn.

Andy
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

vintage PW has come out with new cast headers for the 251/265
.............................. use it ...............
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

does someone make a 2 barrel intake for 230