How to letter the truck correctly for...

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

just me
1SG
1SG

How to letter the truck correctly for...

Post by just me »

... Co C 3rd BN 35th Armor US ARSEVEN?

I want to leter it in honor of a great friend and mentor who served in that outfit during the cold war era (Viet Nam era)
Thanks in advance.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Re: How to letter the truck correctly for...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Need more info (below), but you would use 3/35AR on the pass. side and C- and the truck number (1,2,3,4, etc.) after the C-. FYI, the commander's vehicle number is 6.

Do you know what division this unit was in (1st Armored, 7th Infantry, etc.)? That would go ahead of the 3/35AR. Please provide the other data and we can assist further.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I think it was 3rd Armored-7th Army, he wore a Spearhead patch up to the day he died. I got the other info off his DD214 his daughter provided to me. He served in Germany.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Ok, so that should be 3AD 3/35AR on the pass. side and C- and the truck number (1,2,3,4, etc.) after the C-. on the driver's side. You wouldn't use the 7th Army designation on the bumper.

Coincidentally, I served in the 3rd Armored Division (Spearhead) in Germany from '83-'85. We used to say: "Behind every Spearhead there's a shaft". :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Thanks so much! His discharge to the reserves from Germany was Nov 1969. We were both very much into motorcycles and that is where our friendship started. He rarely talked about his time in the service, but was proud of it and happy he had served. I learned so much about life in general from him that I just have to honor him in some meaningful way. I feel, as do his survivors, that he would be very pleased by this. (They have given me his favorite cap to wear while driving.)
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Very nice!

I'm doing my truck in the 7th Infantry Division, 707th Maintenance theme since the truck and I were serving there at Fort Ord in the 1970s.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

You could also out 3 and the delta or triangle for the Armor. Seen many vehicles marked like that also. Here is a page with a bunch http://36thair3ad.homestead.com/Vehicles.html
M37s are HMMWV in my world!