Advice wanted

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Paladin
PVT
PVT

Advice wanted

Post by Paladin »

Okay, there doesn't seem to be any interested buyers for my contact truck, so I'm weighing options. If I continue to try to sell it, or put it on epay is it better to leave it as a survivor, or paint it? I'm guessing paint it, but I'm just wondering what the general feeling is? If I don't sell it, I'll likely pull the bed and gen set out and make it more like what I want so that I'm happy with it. If so, is there any market for them? I hate to do that but I just really don't care for the contact truck style. I had hoped it would grow on me but it hasn't and my wife hates it.
Anyway, just looking for a little advice from the group.
Thanks in advance,
P
Have gun, will travel.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice wanted

Post by Monkey Man »

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were here, it is not though, be patient, I am sure someone will want it, advertise it as a trade, M37 for Contact truck swap, M37 must be in similar condition 8)

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Paladin
PVT
PVT

Post by Paladin »

Hmmm, not a bad plan MM, I just can't sit on it too much longer unfortunately. I really don't want to dismantle it, but my time is running out to do something with it. I'm not giving up yet, but don't want to let it get to the point that I have to scrap it either. Hopefully I can find a good swap.
Have gun, will travel.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Don't paint it or disassemble any of it. Have you considered listing it on KSL? I see scattered HMVs out there regularly-someone must be buying them.... I too would take it if I had a place to put it. For swap sake, would you consider a 1938 Mauser Kar 98 (picked up in Jan 1945 during the Battle of the Bulge), and a Marlin Model 60 from 1972 an even swap? Just wondering....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Paladin
PVT
PVT

Post by Paladin »

Gary,
I have thought a bit about KSL, but not to seriously. There was an M715 variant of the telephone maint truck on there forever that didn't sell. It doesn't encourage me. I am listing it in this months club newsletter, so maybe that will garner some interest. Just for the sake of it, tell me more about the K98. What is the provenance? Any documentation? What condition? Special markings, i.e. Luftwaffe, Kriegs, etc? You can PM me for my # if you'd rather just talk.
Thanks,
P
Have gun, will travel.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

No docs. I got it from a WWII vet who picked it up in January '45 outside Bastogne. It's stamped 1938 and has the German Eagle with swastika badging stamped in several places-barrel, trigger mechanism, etc. The leather sling is intact. The stock has a crack running around 4 inches parallel along the butt section, and has the weathering you'd expect from an 80 year old rifle. So, the rifle apparently saw nearly all of WWII by the time Paul recovered it. It sat tied to his basement rafters for all those years after the war-he gave it to me as a bonus for helping clean their home one summer. After re-reading this post, I can't see parting with it, as Paul wanted to ensure it passed into respectful hands, and I pledged that I would certainly treat it as such.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Paladin
PVT
PVT

Post by Paladin »

I can totally understand Gary, that sounds like a neat heirloom and an amazing piece of history. I wouldn't part with it either. Thanks for sharing the story of it with me. As for the truck, I'll keep thinking about what I'm gonna do with it.
Have gun, will travel.
stravers

Post by stravers »

paladin,

I see you are in Utah. I am in RI. I came across my 1962 m37 sitting by the side of the road 3 weeks ago. Now here I am, starting all of this as a novice. It will be a project vehicle for my younger son and I. I can imagine it must be tough to let yours go. But just like I found mine, I am sure the right owner will somehow find you and the vehicle. If you were a little closer to me I would have buyers for you. Since I have bought mine, I have 2 friends and my wife has 1 friend with a husband, all of whom have to get one and are now currently looking for one. Try to be patient if you can.

-Scott
Paladin
PVT
PVT

Post by Paladin »

Scott,
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm trying to be patient and hope that the right person comes along for the old girl before my wicked side wins out and I part it out or strip the bed off because I can't stand it sitting there any more.
Here's hoping!
Have gun, will travel.
Snake River 4x4
PVT
PVT

Post by Snake River 4x4 »

Call Cliff in Pocatello, ID and see if he is interested. 208-221-4506