Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

How to remove old rubber from rim?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I picked up what looks like a decent combat rim. The guy I got it from cut off most of the original tire, leaving about 4 inches of rubber and the bead still on the rim. To complicate matters the metal bead-lock contraption is still in place in pretty rusty shape. I've been trying to get the remaining rubber off and ain't having much luck. Seems the rubber has bonded itself to the steel rim and doesn't want to play nice at all. I've been using big screwdrivers and mineral oil/penetrant to try to break the rubber loose.........but it's a ridiculously slow and ugly process. A buddy told me to get out the die grinder and just obliterate the rubber bead, going slowly so as not to mess up the rim. Is there a quicker way I'm not aware of to remove old tire rubber from steel rims??

thanks,
bob
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Re: How to remove old rubber from rim?

Post by Tuko »

Gasoline will break down the bond very nicely from what I have been told (please be careful if you choose this route 8) )
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

Get the wire in the bead cut in two,then at the cut start prying the tire off the rim.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi DJ,

Thanks for the response, but you're a little too late. See, I thought the gasoline thing was a good idea......so I poured some liberally around the rubber, waited a few mintues for most to evaporate, and then hit it with the propane torch to soften up the rubber. So I'm sending this from Heaven right now........or at least I think this is Heaven........but I don't see any M37's up here or my combat rim. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'll keep looking. :D

Seriously, I plan to attach this problem again this weekend, so thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

regards,
bob
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Bob,

Sawsall and a BFH will get the tire off one way or another.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

k8icu wrote:Bob,

Sawsall and a BFH will get the tire off one way or another.
Had to use a Sawzall on one of mine, too. Just be careful not to nick the rim with the blade.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Liberal use of acetone or brake fluid? I know that tends to eat rubber.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Jimmy,

Yeah, that might work. I've already spent way too much time dicking with these rims and my patience is growing short. If the damn beadlock mechanism wasn't installed (and rusted solid) this would be a much easier project. I've uncovered the multiple strands of steel wire in the bead and will probably work on it again tonight........unless it's hot out and floating in the pool with a cold one just makes more sense.

:mrgreen:

thanks,
bob
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

It's not hot out it's like freekin October! Have you tried your molasses tank? I'm just wondering if it would loosen the bond between the two enough to pop the tire off.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi K8,

Well...........the molasses tank has been converted to an electrolysis tank. But I will say that as a molasses tank it did succeed in catching every insect within a half mile of my place when I left the lid off. If only I liked insect soup. :D

Looking at all the possible ways of getting the darn tire remnants off the rim............I think I just have to get down and dirty and obliterate it with the die grinder. It's gonna make a mess, but it'll work. And from now on I'm only buying combat rims that are tireless and apart!!

Thanks,
bob
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I wonder if one of those vibrator tools that they are selling at the home centers and advertising on TV would work? You know they have like 4 different blades on them. Use on to cut out old grout and another to trim your molding for new flooring etc. When I worked for Glass Doctor we had the same type window with a putty knife blade that we would use to power through windshields to cut the glue holding your cars windshield in. Maybe one like that with a cutting blade could get between the tire and the rim and cut it off cleanly with out to much mess or damage to the rim?

JOE
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Joe,

You're timing is PERFECT! I've been looking at those exact tools, but couldn't think of a good reason to buy one. Now I got one. And if it doesn't work at least I won't have keep thinking so hard for a reason to buy one. :D

later,
bob