Advice wanted.....

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

stravers

Advice wanted.....

Post by stravers »

Hello. Two weeks ago I purchased a 1962 M37 in Rhode Island, where I live. The truck is in good shape for a 1962 and runs fine. I have a slow leak in the area of the master cylinder and found a new one in the glove compartment. I add a little brake fluid every couple of days and that has been my quick fix thus far. The vehicle also came with two spare tires and wheels. The tires are in poor shape, but the extra wheels are in fair/good condition. I also have the rack which belongs on the tailgate that holds the axe, shovel, and pick axe. I have very limited knowledge of auto repair and body work. I have been trying to locate a book I have seen on line, "Dodge M37 Restoration Guide" by David Ahl. Does anyone have one they want to sell? Or know where I might be able to find one? Or are there any other reference materials I should look into? I bought this trick for my son Cal, 17 years old, so that he and I could restore it as a father and son project. Does anyone have any advice where we should start? I welcome any and all advice and comments. Thanks.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: Advice wanted.....

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

Is this what you're after?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-M37-Resto ... 3390ecea31

Not much time!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi stravers,

The book you're interested in, is in my opinion, not a true restoration guide. It's way overpriced, and when I spoke to the author a year or two ago even he couldn't believe what people were paying for it. It's more a compilation of articles about the M37, some showing how to service different parts of the truck and some discussing modifications that can be made. It doesn't walk you thru step by step how to restore one of these trucks, like a typical restoration guide. Certainly a good read, just don't get your hopes up too much. I've learned a lot more by studying the manuals, looking at trucks at military shows, and reading the forum here. The ORD, which is the primary parts manual for the truck, really has some good illustrations of the trucks sub-assemblies disassembled. The other manuals have great pics of different areas of the truck and are also worthwhile to read.

From a restoration perspective these trucks are really pretty simple. Sort of like building a model kit when you were a kid, only instead of being made of plastic it's made of steel. With the wealth of knowledge available here on the forum and a look thru the manuals you should be well on your way to a great father-son project. One thing to note......prices for M37 parts are on the rise. Used parts are still pretty reasonable, especially from the guys here on the forum, but New Old Stock (NOS) parts are getting up there in price. So if you know you will need specific parts for your restoration.....start looking for them sooner rather than later. Also look thru the photo gallery on this site and you'll see lots of restoration pics that will help you. I'd put a shameless plug in at this point saying "and join the MVPA", but I'm a little on the fence as to the benefit of that right now. :(

regards,
bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

First, welcome aboard! Glad to hear of another M37 being saved; also especially glad to hear of a father/son project, as we need youngsters in our hobby!
Your best "how-to" references from my perspective are:
#1-this forum! Most anything M37 ever asked has already been answered here, and there are some forum members on board whose business is military vehicles. There are also a few old Army MOS 63H mechanics like Carter and me who worked on these when serving on active duty way back when. We also have tons of gearheads who willingly share expertise, swap/sell parts, etc. Use the Search Engine to look up topics and the many responses;

#2-tech manuals. TM 9-8030 is an excellent source of information and expertise.

After that, the Ahl Resto guide has some pertinent info but is mis-classified as a restoration guide. It's more of a "how I found and revived MY M37".

Joining the MVPA and/or your local military vehicle club would offer expertise and access to club swap meets, etc., essential for finding missing or replacement parts. Most are readily available except some of the prized fender heater kits, Braden winches, and such. Check the swap meet section here to see what's always in demand (like the front winch bumpers)! We wheel and deal on a regular basis and have formed a number of great friendships here-all are welcome!

For my truck, my philosophy is "mechanicals over cosmetics" meaning get the safety and mechanical stuff fixed first-brakes, emergency brake, glass, running engine (in case you need to move it about) u-joints, wiring, etc. Worry about the looks later on. I'm on my 10th year and close to being road-worthy (by this winter for sure!).

Your leaking brakes require further inspection. Plan on replacing the MC, wheel cylinders, and the brake lines-all may be worn out after all this time. You might check out my lengthy thread on my brake overhaul-the good, bad and ugly of it all but I now have sound brakes all the way around. I don't know what would be leaking around your glove compartment as there is no fluid in that area unless someone has mounted a heater under it (a popular upgrade using a MUTT heater-I have done this with mine, too).

Reach out anytime-we don't charge anything for advice! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Welcome stravers, you have come to the right place for information and advice about your recently purchased M37 and father/son projects are the best way for both of you to learn about the truck, and its general mechanical operation, repair and each other in a family friendly project environment.

Begin your project by making a general inspection and assessment of all the trucks mechanical, electrical and brake systems to determine their condition and when necessary an order of repair, safety dictating what gets fixed first while cosmetic issues would be a low priority item.

Examine the electrical system and it's wiring as soon as possible, old disintegrating wire insulation and 24 volts direct current are a destructive combination just waiting to burn your dreams of a family fun bonding project and your recently acquired M37 to the ground. :shock: Sometime ask me how I know. . :evil: All wiring system components and complete new made GI spec. harnesses are available and while expensive are the absolute best way to insure you will not have to use that fire extinguisher I know you will find is a must have among the items you will carry in the Dodge's cab or cargo bed tool boxes.

When it comes to making repairs to anything that you are unsure of, ask here before, during or after the project as our group of long time forum members have years of experience and one member, Charles freely offers his vast wealth of knowledge as well as being the owner of a company that specializes in military truck rebuilds/repowers: http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/services.htm

Bottom line, just ask, no stupid questions here, we love to help the new guy or anyone that needs it. You can not find a better forum concerning the Dodge M37, G741.org is the ONLY forum dedicated exclusively to out favorite trucks.

Lastly take lots of pictures, we love pictures, more the better....so please go out and get some shots and post them here for us to see what you have and if you need help with posting them we also can help with that. :D
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

I read through a few pages of the David Ahl book (on Google books)...I agree that it is more of a general vehicle restoration guide/love letter to M37's
as far as a father /son project...that is awesome but be sure to communicate with your son about your vision for the project and his....you might want a perfect parade truck/ 100 point restoration whereas he might want something to sink up to the headlights in a mud pit while out 'wheeling with his buddies.
Another thing to consider is how much Highway driving will you need to do in the truck? if you plan on travelling far and wide to attend events, you might want to re-gear the axles to get a better highway speed out of it.
1952 M37cdn
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

I agree with bob, the book by Dave is not that good. A lot of info in the book is right from the manuals. Some of the methods of restoration would make most M37 owners gasp. Definitely not worth the money the E-bay listing is at, and not even the $20 price when the book was on the shelf.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

stravers wrote:a 1962... I have a slow leak
Most of us who where born in 62 have the same problem....lol :lol: Welcome and congrats on your purchased. The best information is in the manuals. They will tell you just about everything you want to know from how to drive and operate the truck to troubleshooting to repair and replacement of parts. Then boards like this one to tap the collective knowledge base is also very helpful.

Enjoy your new ride.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

All good advice from the above posts. Carter's comment on inspecting the vehicle and making a plan with safety first is
right on target. Most of us don't have deep pockets and many still work daily for a living so time AND money are always
a premium. When I have lots of one, I don't have lots of the other and vice versa.
Another suggestion is to join a local or regional military vehicle club. If there are other M37 members there you can
gussie up to them for more information and direction on your restoration. You might be surprised to see many of
the old timers go out of their way to help.
Buy the TM reprints, talk to anyone and everyone with M37 knowledge and last but not least use this forum to ask for
information and advice.
Don't forget to post pic's of your M37 as is and how your restoration is coming along. Any of the moderators can help
you with that. It won't be long before your blood is running O.D. or Strata Blue for you fly boys.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

m37jarhead wrote: Buy the TM reprints, talk to anyone and everyone with M37 knowledge and last but not least use this forum to ask for
information and advice.
I second this advice. I have both the paper reprints and the scanned versions on CD, and I prefer the paper ones. The scanned ones, at least the ones that I bought, have garbled or missing text. A few of the illustrations from the parts book are missing, which can be frustrating.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
stravers

Post by stravers »

Guys,

Thank you so much for all your great advise. So far I have repaired the leak in the brake system, which was coming from just in front of the master brake cylinder with the master cylinder rebuild kit I found in the glove compartment. I have also taken the vehicle to a mechanic I know to make sure there was nothing which needed immediate attention that I might have been overlooking. It came back with an inspection sticker in the window, which I certainly did not expect. I am still questioning the sticker on the window, but it is a requirement in RI, so be it.

Please bear with me as I am not the most computer savvy person in the world. I have been taking numerous photos of the vehicle. I will get them posted here asap. I have found out there is a RI military vehicle club and I have sent an email to the president. there is also a military vehicle show in RI which will be in September on the 6th and 7th at Quonest Point. I will be there for sure, you will recognize me as the guy in his 40's with the flat top with all the questions. If any of you get to it, I would love to meet you in person.

Again, thank you all for responding, I will be asking questions and posting updates as my son Cal and I progress with the "GTBW" as my co-workers have named it, the "Green Travers Battle Wagon".

-Scott