paint and primer

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

paint and primer

Post by ZGjethro »

I am painting my gas tank after having it repaired and lining it. I have used several rotary steel brushes in a drill and have cleaned it up really well. There are large areas though which the paint does not want to scrape of off. I am not looking for a restoration grade paint job. I just want the OD 2430 spray paint from TM9 to stick and not rust thru. The tank seems solid but is pretty dented and I am constantly searching for a replacement. Any good primers to recommend? I was looking at an Eastwood etching primer, but I don't know if it will work well if I don't take it to bare metal. I could use a chemical stripper if needed, but if the paint is that tenacious, is it needed?
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Re: paint and primer

Post by Brett »

If the remaining paint is putting up that much of a fight, I wouldn't worry about it. I would solvent wipe everything real well, and prime it. If you're using a self etching primer, just skip over the areas that still have paint. You could also just use regular old rustoleum primer and hit it all. BTW duplicolor has some decent self etching primer that you can pick up at any parts store. That way you don't have to wait or pay for shipping from eastwood.

Brett
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks. I think I will probably just go with the Rustoleum on the gas tank. I think I might use the Eastwood primer and paint on my rims though
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi ZG,

I've got to say.....Rustoleum products have sure improved in the last decade or so. I've used them my whole life (I'm 50) and I'm impressed with the performance of their paint that I've used lately. As usual, a couple of light coats is better than thick ones, but what works best for me is giving whatever I've painted with Rustoleum plenty of time to dry. I like to hang my parts from the clothesline for a week and let mother nature just bake the s%#t of them. Becomes hard as nails that way. :mrgreen:

later,
bob
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Items like fuel tanks need to be done the best they can be. That is completely cleaned to bare metal by whatever method you choose, (wire brushing won't accomplish that, leaves lots of invisible residue in pits, etc.) Fuel tanks always have much residue that causes issues at some point if left behind has been my experience. The best outer coating is powder coat. The next best from bare metal is etched with phosphate solution, followed by epoxy primer, then top coated with single stage urethane, or base coat / clear coat urethane. These are the most durable outer coatings, the interior should be refurbished and coated by gas tank renu, or at the very least sealed with some type of reliable interior gas tank sealant coating. The old line, "pay me now, or pay me later usually comes into play if any of this gets bypassed in the process." Good advice may not always be advice you wish to hear, but it is still good advice.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks Charles. I don't have any powder coaters near me, or access to companies to do that work. Do you have any recommendations for products for at home do it your-selfers?

I had the tank soldered up and I lined it with Caswell Plating's gas tank liner
gravely8199
PVT
PVT

Post by gravely8199 »

although it is not cheap i have used epoxy primer from PPG and it is amazingly tough and durable itself without a top coat. Arvore makes an epoxy rebar paint that i used to use under mower decks.NEVER had any of it wear off! many times i have used it as a base coat before painting something that was less than perfect surface to begin with. and its light olive green! lol
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I can't really recommend do-it-yourself powder coating equipment. As for providers of that equipment, or I should say the ones that I know who offer DIY equipment of that type do not offer top quality equipment at all that does the best job. Top quality powder coating is best left to the pros who do it daily; just like wet coat painting, there are many tricks to the trade for turning out the best, longest lasting product. There is much difference in powders, just like wet coat paint, much difference in application equipment, much difference in the providers who offer this service, etc. It's like trying to do a show quality paint job with a $150 Chinese import paint gun in the hands of a person who has never run a spray gun, the result is not likely to be outstanding. We too are in a rural area where many of the best services are not available locally, so you have to seek out the best service providers that are accessible, you may have to travel a bit, or crate the tank and ship it to a reputable provider.

Epoxy does the next best job IMO. The quality of that will be affected by THE PREP DONE ON THE PIECE, the quality of the epoxy product itself, the quality of the application equipment, and the skill lever of the person applying it. It is no short cut process if it's done the best it can be.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Sorry about my last reply. I should have mentioned that I meant recommendation on paints. I don't have the means to powder coat parts, and frankly, some powder coated parts have rusted out quickly on me. I do have compressors, but I have never purchased any spray guns, but I could get one. I was looking for advice on paint makers, and choice such as epoxies and urathane.

Thanks Gravely. I will look up those makers. After looking, I assume you meant Arcor instead of Arvore

Will a roll on bed liner work? I am not looking for a restoration grade paint job. My truck is a fire engine yellow/green color, and the bed is pretty messed up where they cut the inner fenders to accommodate a water tank in its brush fire fighting days. The exterior of the truck is in great shape, other than the obnoxious color. It has kind of grown on me though. When I find some rear inner fenders I intend to line the bed, and the same product could be used on the tank. I just want something on the bare metal to prevent rusting. I want to get the tank in the truck so I can drive it this summer. Nothing fancy or really expensive. I'd brush it on if it could be applied that way.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I understand what you are looking for better now. My suggestion would be to look for an epoxy product from one of the name brand coating suppliers. Sherwin-Williams offers a huge line of top quality industrial products. Most folks only associate them with house paint, but in actuality, they are a top of the line industrial coating supplier. If there is a Sherwin-Williams industrial supplier near by, check them out.

There is also a Company in Florida called Sweet's Paints, their product brand name is Mobile 1. It is a very tough industrial coating line of products at extremely competitive prices. We buy lots of paint from them, they offer enamels and urethane products. They will mix custom colors, good folks to work with, and very good tech support for their products. This is likely the best supplier of a good product with the most competitive pricing you will find. Memphis Equipment Co., the largest military truck dealer in the US, buys all their paint from Sweet's. I think their website is www.sweetspaint.com
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks again Charles. I am having some trouble with Adobe flash player and can't get the Sweet paint site to work right now. I will check it out later. We have a Sherwin williams store in town. I will check with them to see what they recommend and carry.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

ZGjethro wrote:Thanks again Charles. I am having some trouble with Adobe flash player and can't get the Sweet paint site to work right now. I will check it out later. We have a Sherwin williams store in town. I will check with them to see what they recommend and carry.
Sounds like you have something to go on now. That local store may be house paint only, industrial paints are usually in a store that handles those lines only. If that is the case, they can likely put you in touch with the nearest Sherwin-Williams industrial / commercial coatings vendor.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com