Plans for 2014

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Hawk101
PVT
PVT

Re: Plans for 2014

Post by Hawk101 »

Find a drivers seat "bottom" spring section (hint hint, wink wink) :D if anyone has one for sale??? to finish off my seat restoration.
And also got to replace old hub seals, with nice new ones.
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

hawk, send me a PM, I've got a driver seat spring set I'm taking out that's in good shape
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I hope to get all my M-42 canvas back on and my seat cushions and back rest pads. I would also really like to get my radios working, the bed wired and radios installed. I also need to get my little O.D. Generator fixed (it leaks fuel). I need to build some boxes to hold my crane kit, tow bar, and other "accessories". Got to finish my two gypsy racks also. Finishing up the stuff on my 101A1 trailer would be great, too.

Lots of stuff to do. We'll see how much gets done.

The wife unit wants me to get rid of all the "extra" stuff. She is just not buying the argument that I "need" 6 spare (not "extra") tail lights, 4 sets of bridge plates, primer pumps, etc. She just doesn't get it. :roll: :D

Anybody want to buy a couple of complete 2 1/2 ton / 5 ton winterization kits new in the crate? I'm willing to get rid of those and that would make her happy for awhile. :D

52 M-42
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

My M37 "To Do List"

Build a new tailgate. (Check)
Go through the front axle and add lock out hubs.
Mount spare tire and Jerry Can.
Get a top. Need a top bow as well.
Add a stereo
Get a heater before next winter.

We'll have to see how much of this time and money allow.
Brett
hetkind

Post by hetkind »

Let me see, I took the 68 Utiline apart during the summer to repair the rear cab mounts, and the M37 just got the knuckles redone. So I pulled the M37 out of the main bay today, cleaned up the grease and oil residue, restocked on rags in a box and tube grease and now the 62 Town Wagon is in the bay. I have to do some minor weld repair on some rust and prep it for Tennessee Orange paint with cream trip for a UT Volunteers Tailgating truck, we got season tickets for next year. My wife is a Tennessee alumni and I am a Cincinnati alum so we should be good. The TW had been sitting for a few months, in the snow after not being driven for a few years. It got a battery a few months ago, plus some points and a can of gas, and it started right up with 15w-40 oil that last got changed in Texas, in 2008!

Then we start the motorcycle work...

Howard
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I've already got all these parts purchased...so hopefully this means they'll all happen quickly. Goals?

-Right when I take it out of storage, I'm adding in a heavy duty battery shut off.
-Replacing the fuel pump to engine block gasket, easy.
-Replacing the valve cover gaskets.
-Re-building my carburetor. This is my #1
-New tires, and get the truck fully primed.

Before next winter my goal is to have the winch assisted plow set up like carter has on my truck.

-T
98taco3
CPL
CPL

Post by 98taco3 »

turn a pile of NOS and repainted parts back into a truck! :lol:
Hawk101
PVT
PVT

Post by Hawk101 »

Just wondering how you guys are getting on with your plans for 2014???????
I've managed to get the old leaky hub seals out and replaced them with new ones.Image

Also finished my cab seat restoration thanks to ( tbone1004)

Still got my Battery box to complete, as my M didn't have one when I purchased her. But she's getting there...
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Well, for me there is some success, some failure.

I couldn't get the canvas on the truck and still get it in the garage. Just a little too tight. Oh well, now I know for sure. Ask me how I know. :shock: :cry: :x

I did get my troop seat pads and backrest pads filled with new foam. I also got my tools boxes (fender mounted and removable) installed in the trailer. My tow bar is mounted in the trailer on the inside forward face of the vertical trailer wall.

The new box for my crane kit is done and waiting to be painted, along with the crane kit. The broken captured nut on the back of the trailer (for my pioneer tool kit I mounted on the tailgate) is fixed. That job was the most difficult and time consuming of all the little jobs I've been doing.

I haven't worked on the radios, or the wiring for them. I have some work to do to lower my trailer light connector because the USMC Lifting Bracket won't let me open the cover. One of my combat wheels is bent and I have to take it to the straightening shop. I am in the process of making the protecting brackets for my heater motor; finally.

So, I guess progress is being made, just not as quickly as I would like. The list never seems to get any shorter, just different.

Oh, I also got a copy of my build card from Chrysler last weekend. That was a nice surprise! Might think about renumbering the truck now. Also found a place last weekend that restores / re-manufactures license plates to like new condition. Not cheap, but in my state you can use old plates if you can find one (with the tab) within one year of your vehicle's date of manufacture. I may get mine done this fall.

52 M-42
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

If you can spend 30 mins a day, even 15 minutes, it adds up. My rule has been 30 minutes a day during the work week and it has produced results. Nothing goes as fast as you want it to!

Keep the updates coming!
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

my plans have taken a big 180. I'm having to do a last minute move and am trying to sell my M37 since we're going into an apartment for a while. If it sells it might give me the opportunity to get the Carryall that I had my heart set on prior to coming across my M37. Hopefully I'll find a buyer here before I move.

Hawk, glad those seat springs worked out for you!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Glad to see the updates to this post!
I spent today cutting, heating then removing the front armored brake lines in preparation for bleeding. They just don't come apart w/o heat after 60 years of service, and I still had to use my Dremel tool on one of the retaining nuts which led me to the local Fastenal for a replacement. Prior to today I dinked and dunked over the past couple of months having my drums turned, obtaining oversized brake shoes, shaving them down to obtain a proper fit, installing them, then ordering the power bleeder and being sent a set of extended length ratchets instead. After a quick call and a gentlemen's agreement I was sent the power bleeder and have returned the ratchets. Tomorrow calls for off and on rain so I plan to work around the dry times by installing the new armored brake lines then bleeding the brakes.

Sorry to hear of you having to sell your M37 T-Bone-we enjoy your posts, so don't be a stranger!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

I won't be a stranger and if it doesn't sell I'll keep it and finish the initial plans. What I would really love to happen is for someone to pick up where I left off with it and then continue my MV voyage with a WC53 Carryall like I had initially wanted and use that to follow the same restomod route as I was doing with Walter. We'll see how it goes. The next month is just real stressful with wrapping up the current job, selling the house, moving 1200 miles etc etc
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

So where in 1200 miles are you moving to? I've been in your shoes-lots of work but it will pay off once you've settled in your new locale.
Please keep us posted,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

moving to Greenville SC to work for a company called Innegra Technologies as well as consulting for a company called North American Rescue. Similar type job to what I have now, but much closer to family for both Paige and I. Good move, just stressing about having to sell or ship the truck. Hopefully sell and I can start over when I get a new place. The garages are so damn small down there!