Lower Radiator Tube Port?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Lower Radiator Tube Port?

Post by Elwood »

Any one know the purpose of the port with the pipe plug in the lower radiator tube, p/n 7707281? The illustration in ORD 9 SNL G-741 January 1954 shows this part without the port, but the one in my '54 M37 has it. I don't think I've seen an M37 without the port, but always with the pipe plug in place. Is it just for coolant system flushing?

It's the circled part in this photo:

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

Re: Lower Radiator Tube Port?

Post by rtkjmk »

It is used for the fender mounted heater /defroster . Most of the original tubes have the plug , a lot of the replacement tubes sold by the various vendors do not .
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Some of our members plumb their cab heaters through it as well. Mine did not come with the bung so I plumbed mine through the water pump.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

rt,

That's what I thought to.....that it was used for the heater........but it's not. I looked in TB9-2855-45 "Hot Water Heater Installation" and the heater is not plumbed to that bung on the tube. So I don't think we've figured this one out yet.

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I think I've finally answered the question as to what this pipe plug is for:

Used for the power plant heater kit.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Good info to know-thanks for sharing!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500