Heater Plug in Head

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Heater Plug in Head

Post by bill monahan »

Thought hooking up the heater in my truck would be a no brainer. However, for the life of me I cannot get that pipe plug out of the back of the head. Tried open end wrench, a crowfoot on a breaker bar and even a pipe wrench. Even tried heating the plug with my torch. Still won't budge. I could use a larger pipe wrench but would have to remove carb to get clearance. Any ideas ???
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Heater Plug in Head

Post by tbone1004 »

soak with pb blaster over night, get impact out. Heat with torch, use said impact. Should come out. Impact is a lot safer on rusted bolts than prybars since the torque is around the entirety of the bolt instead of a wrench where you have shear forces come into play. Much more common to have a bolt break using a breaker bar because of it. Good luck. PB Blaster, Kroil, WD-40's new penetrating lube, Seafoam Deep Creep, 50/50 ATF and Acetone, pick your poison, they all work quite well for things like this
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

oh, one other thing with the impact. When you get it on there, try tightening it a little bit before you go to loosen it. Sometimes this is enough to break the rust free and it will come out. With an impact you aren't going to hurt it any so it is worth a try.
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Yeah, already tried PB blaster over night. I think what I need is a 4 point socket, even a 8 point. The corners are getting a little rounded off. I have a 8 point socket set but of course It's missing the proper size.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Have you tried heating it with a touch and then applying candle wax. I never tried it but I read it works. Look at the U-tube video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwKHSvKfnHI
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

That might be a valid trick, but they did not show how stuck the nut was prior to using the wax. I might try it on my next stuck nut though
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Hey, I'll try anything at this point. Like I said, the main problem is getting some sort of socket on that square head.
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

go to sears, they make 8 point sockets which will work
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Mine was a 9/16 square head. If yours is the same, I'll be glad to loan my 8-point to you Bill-shipping wouldn't cost much. PM me if you're interested.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Bill,

I've used the cheap birthday cake candles and canning wax for years to remove rusted nuts on snow plows and salters.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Thanks Gary, but it's too late for that now. Just came back from Sears and they don't have any 8 pt. sockets. Bought a set of impact "damaged bolt remover" sockets. All that did was to completely round the square head off. Really don't know what to do next. I'm having a drink.
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Don't think it's rusted, just 61 years tight.
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

a 12 point socket would definitely round it off.
Next course of action is to get a big ass pair of vice grips locked down on the head and wack it with a dead blow hammer. Heat up the bolt and surrounding area, clip the vice grips on there and give it a good whack. Obviously you want to be hitting the top side of the vice grips so they grab hold instead of trying to break loose like if you hit it from the bottom.
good luck
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

I'll give a try after my hand heals up. Just went out and tried vise grips, really tightly clamped and can't budge it. Vise grips eventually slipped and skinned my wrist. Not that bad but having another drink. Thanks for all the support guys !!!
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

don't try to move it with your hands dude! dead blow hammers are your best friend with stuff like this, the jerking motion will help. Since it is a square head you might be able to get a small pipe wrench on there which would work pretty well to and just whack it with the hammer. Using your hands and trying to move it slowly causes a lot of sheared bolts which is why the impact is better, and if you can't get a wrench on there, the hammer on end of vice grips is next best thing. Although a square head will take a regular open end wrench. I think that's how mine and I do remember having to give it a few good whacks with the 4lb dead blow before it budged. Whiskey is also your friend :lol: