Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Best Way to Remove Old Paint To Find Registration Numbers

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I'd like to find the registration numbers on my truck. The hood had been previously stripped to bare metal and repainted, so those numbers are long gone. But I was looking at the tailgate yesterday and I can see OD paint underneath 2 layers of fire engine red paint. The top layer is dull and flaking off, but the second red layer seems well bonded to the OD and is still shiny. So what I'm looking for is the best way to get to the OD without destroying it. I thought about using a liquid stripper, as they usually remove one layer at a time, but it's the "usually" part that bothers me. I could use sandpaper and attack it by hand, but I figure I'd ask you guys what you've done, as hindsight is 20-20 and some of you have been there and done that.

So let me know your recommendations for how not to screw this up................I appreciate it in advance.

thanks,
bob
T. Highway

Re: Best Way to Remove Old Paint To Find Registration Number

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Bob,

Block sanding by hand is the way I found to work my way down thru the layers.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

Like Bert said, block sanding works for me. On my t-24 weasel I actually had to wet sand the areas just because the numbers and letters were so faint and hard to read.

Paul
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

In the pic of my M37 hood, I used a razor blade holder like the ones used to remove paint from windows. I would guess the amount
of success you'll have with this method is dependent on the quality of the preparation done before the new top coat(s) were
sprayed over the O.D.
The yellow, white and other colors easily came off of the O.D. probably because no one sanded or scuffed the O.D. surface prior to
spraying on the new paint. Like many of us, I was just trying to find the hood numbers but since the paint "schards" zipped
off so easily, I did the whole hood surface. Same method was used for the artic top, fenders, doors, etc. and any other relatively flat surface.
As you can see in the pic, the original O.D. paint refused to submit to the razor. The surprise was how well the
hood numbers were revealed.
The second pic shows the same numbers on the firewall. Another surprise! Used the razor blade method here too. I added the dashed
lines and the 18" markings for future reference.

Experiment first on other areas before you get to the hood numbers. Catch a crack or sharp edge on the paint and with a little
experience, you'll establish just the right "touch" to get the paint schards flying. Wear safety glasses 'cause the shards WILL
fly into your eyes...... trust me on that.

Jerry Bubolz

Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.