Ugly Truckling down, new source of discs?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Ugly Truckling down, new source of discs?

Post by DAP »

Charles, will your calipers and spacers be the same as Rays or compatible? I have the hubs welded up from Rays guy in Georgia and Ray was going to supply me the calipers and spacers some time at the end of October but I haven't heard from him. Don't know if I need to work on a backup plan or not. Just wondering.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We have our own system, we have not tried to duplicate Ray's at all. I can't say whether any components will cross over with his or not; that is something that would have to be checked out by you to see what would happen. There were some issues on the last heli-tool kits I saw that in my opinion were short cuts in workmanship. I have no idea if all his components since that time were like the ones I recall or not. We have not short cut anything with ours, they are top of the line. Every step of every component in our kit has been machined from cold rolled plate on CNC equipment. Everything is 100% spot on.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

What shortcuts Charles?, Ray sent me his short form kit and it all went together very well and does not seem to be lacking, then again, I am not a mechanic either so I may not know what I am looking at...

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I'm not interested in critiquing Ray's product. My concerns were not to do with fit, I don't know if his newer stuff is still done that way, he could have changed it.

I was simply offering a quick description of our set up; I will offer more detail concerning what we have done when it is ready for shipping.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

I was not asking for a critique, just if there was any concerns you had with the kit in general. I am very interested to see your kit, I always love to see new upgrades available for the M37 and I have no doubt yours will be good quality.

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Monkey Man wrote:I was not asking for a critique, just if there was any concerns you had with the kit in general. I am very interested to see your kit, I always love to see new upgrades available for the M37 and I have no doubt yours will be good quality.

MM
The issues that were of concern to me would not be considered flaws, but was obviously an intentional part of the process. That is why I described my concern as a workmanship issue. If you didn't see anything with the components you received that concerned you; I could only assume it had either been changed, or you simply didn't mind it being that way.

If I moved forward with critiquing per my concern, it would only be perceived as me trying to promote my product. That is not my intention at all. As I've already said, the reason we have produced these is primarily for use on our in house projects; it is certainly not my intent to be in competition selling disc kits. If anyone is interested, we have them, if not then I'm just happy having a good quality disc kit for in house use when we need them.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

Hi Charles

will your kits be utilizing the 70s - 80s 3/4ton gm components like UglyTruckling?

and what MC have you chosen to utilize with the conversion?

i remember you posting something concerning spindle repair and that it would be best to not remove the rivets that hold the rear spindle to the housing. how is this addressed with your conversion?
.............................. use it ...............
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

RMS wrote:Hi Charles

will your kits be utilizing the 70s - 80s 3/4ton gm components like UglyTruckling?

and what MC have you chosen to utilize with the conversion?

i remember you posting something concerning spindle repair and that it would be best to not remove the rivets that hold the rear spindle to the housing. how is this addressed with your conversion?
We have used the same components for years, honestly it has been so long, I don't recall what other applications they may fit.

We have used several different M/C, depending on the type of booster that is incorporated into the system. We have used air actuated boosters, vacuum actuated boosters, and hydraulic boosters.

I'm drawing a blank on past comments about not removing rivets holding the rear spindle to the housing. Spindles are not riveted, but are an integral part of the housing/tube assembly. The only part that is riveted on the rear is the original brake assembly backing plate. It must be removed from its flange when installing disc brakes; therefore the 5 rivets that secure it to the tube flange on either end must go. The caliper brackets are then bolted onto the flange using grade 8 hardware.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

my bad, I was under the impression the spindle was riveted not welded.

I was hoping to hear that you found a 1 ton rotor caliper combo that fits in the stock 16in rim. Maybe with a matching rear caliper rotor combo with a cable ebrake. what would be nice in a MC is easy adaption to a remote reservoir.

a buddy of mine is working on a brake setup on his wc63 with stock axles that uses a f650 rotor mounted on a 6 bolt dodge hub with a massive 4 piston caliper requiring a 18in rim. its a bit of a over kill for me
.............................. use it ...............
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

RMS wrote:my bad, I was under the impression the spindle was riveted not welded.

I was hoping to hear that you found a 1 ton rotor caliper combo that fits in the stock 16in rim. Maybe with a matching rear caliper rotor combo with a cable ebrake. what would be nice in a MC is easy adaption to a remote reservoir.

a buddy of mine is working on a brake setup on his wc63 with stock axles that uses a f650 rotor mounted on a 6 bolt dodge hub with a massive 4 piston caliper requiring a 18in rim. its a bit of a over kill for me
We have done some dual piston calipers on a M715; but the end we need to seek is this. A well built, reliable set up that does the job well, not something that is overly elaborate, unnecessary, and runs cost off the charts.

We use a hydromax booster - M/C combo on our Cummins trucks, it has a remote, firewall mounted reservoir.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Carmen
PFC
PFC

Post by Carmen »

I have a stock M37 for about 15 years now. About 6 years ago I bought one of Rays kit and I did both the front and the back as well as the dual master. I LOVE IT. I always said that the Army has an Army of guys that could spend hours adjusting brakes. Me, I want to spent that time driving my truck. I still have the truck and would tell anyone to do it.

I am currently working on an M715 and as soon as I can afford it I will be putting discs on this truck also. I had great service from Ray as well as from Charles. They have both been very helpful when I need them. If Ray is no longer doing discs I will get them from Charles.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Carmen
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

what about the dual piston caliper off of the jeep WJ? they fit 16 inch rotors for alloy wheels with a pretty nice dual piston setup. Curb weight is a lot lower, but the pistons are rated up to a 4500lb trailer without trailer brakes. Might be worth looking into, they are a common brake conversion in other jeep applications to get nicer caliper and rotor setups with fairly cheap parts.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

This is why I just choose to change the axles instead. Front Disc Brakes, 4:10 gears and rear disk conversion kits all over the place. All stock Dodge parts that can be picked up at the local auto parts store...and I got the whole set up for about $600.00. But that's just me I'm a cheap SOB. :D

@Charles: I understand pricing believe me. I was just stating a fact that if you can produce the product you want at a price that makes it accessible to more people means more money in your pocket. I was not suggesting that you make a product that was of poor quality or of poor workmanship. Looking at your work I would only expect top quality. The cost for Rays kit wasn't unreasonable. The killer was shipping the hubs all over the country and the work at the machine shop. I hope your system works well and that many customers burn up your credit card machine with orders. Good luck and I wish you the best.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

As mentioned earlier in the thread about the 8 lug hmmwv rims.
http://s589.photobucket.com/user/saxpla ... M37%20Hubs
I downloaded all of the pictures from his album on SS and am emailing with him now praying he has cad drawings and will give them to me so I can try to make these. Will report back on how it goes, but for anyone interested, the album I linked above has all of the pictures in there
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Hello Charles. I have a truck with out of round drums which pulses back on the pedals. I have wanted to do Rays conversion, and had been in touch with him before his business stopped. I would love to buy a complete system from you if you offer it. I have a question about rim compatability and disc brakes. I have been in touch with a couple of wheel companies about re-welding my wheel centers into modern tubeless rims. I want to keep the original rim size in a modern drop center hub. Will a 16" drop center wheel clear the discs you will be using?