Putting a Braden LU 4 winch on an M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MolderBrown

Putting a Braden LU 4 winch on an M37

Post by MolderBrown »

I have a very nice m-37 ,and I have a lu-4 winch to put on it . I have 1/2 of the split bumper , mounting brackets , extenders , and a PTO box . Would someone please tell me what shaft(s) I need , and how this little beauty goes together ? How and WHERE does the pto box ties into the system ? Where does the shaft connect ? In short - please tell me how this goes together . Guys , I really need some help here . My email address is ---- molderbrown@gmail.com -- , and any help offered would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Dan Brown
USN Ret
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Putting a Braden LU 4 winch on an M37

Post by w30bob »

Hi Dan,

The transfer case has a block-off plate on the driver's side. You remove that plate and bolt up the PTO. A driveshaft (see scan below) connects the PTO to the winch. I'm oversimplifying, of course, but that's really all there is to it. You have to punch out the plug in the trans tunnel cover for the 2-piece winch control lever to stick thru the floor, and bolt in the lever lock mechanism (make sure to use the steel backing plate on the underside of the tunnel to keep the sheetmetal from fracturing). I'm looking for a pic that shows the whole she-bang......but someone will probably beat me to it. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob

winchshaft by w30bob, on Flickr
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

The PTO box on my Cdn. M37 was attached to the left side of the transmission. Remove the flat plate on the side the transmission, usually held on with 6 bolts (if memory serves). The PTO box bolts in place of the flat plate, make sure the gears between the PTO and trans mesh correctly. The shaft (one) ran from the PTO output, through the hole in the front cross member and connected to the input shaft on the winch. Easy as pie.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MolderBrown

Post by MolderBrown »

Thanks to both Bob and Master Yota for the information on mounting the LU 4 on my M-37 . What confused me was that I could see NO place to tie in either the PTO box or the shaft . :P Again ,

Thanks ,

Dan
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Clarification-The PTO goes on the tranny, not the transfer case.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

You guys make it sound so easy to install, that I'm thinking about throwing mine on now :lol:
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

It's just nuts and bolts; kind of like lego when some of us were kids.

Unlike Lego however, the PTO box will put a serious part in your hairline if managed to drop it on your skull... :oops:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I mounted my PTO with the tranny on the floor-made it much easier to install the studs, gaskets (correct thickness to ensure the correct gear lash with the top cover off) and then mounted the PTO itself. Once mounted, added GL90 through the open top-so much easier than pumping it in after install. You'll want to include sealer on your studs to combat leakage, as well as a coat on your gasket surfaces.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500