Royal Blue M37 in time for the St Paul Winter Carnival

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Royal Blue M37 in time for the St Paul Winter Carnival

Post by RMS »

it looks like the rear end has a centered chunk and that your driving it off of the stock yoke on the passenger side of the Tcase. you can set the stock Tcase to be a direct drive and run the drive shaft out of the center of the t case at the brake drum. it looks like you have E brakes on the rear end so you can throw away the drum and install a different yoke to accept the drive shaft. you may need to cut the perches off and reset the pinion angel. some one will chime in about Tcases and tell you what parts you can get off different NP Tcases to get rid of the drum and blank off the stock output to the rear end .
.............................. use it ...............
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

a ww2 dodge tcase yoke with drum can be used for a conversion to center drive the stock m37 tcase. some powerwagons also had a centered diff with a NP. with a stock ebrake and cable ebrakes in the rear. you could easily setup a "poor mans locker" by using a extra set of tcase levers to activate the brake so each tire can be operated independently
.............................. use it ...............
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

Question "how many Smurfs had to die to make enough blue paint to cover both trucks?"

Answer- All of them

:mrgreen:
1952 M37cdn
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

You truck looks great and if any bean counter asks tell them its USAF Strata Blue (it's very close in color just a little lighter in shade) and send them on their way. I used the stock ubolt setup on my truck (Dana 60 rear end) and I just went to the local spring shop and I gave them an old one and said make me 4 new ones just like it. It cost like 30 or 40 bucks and a 30 minutes of waiting in the show room.

Front axle set up is a little different. You will need to either change the passinger side spring placement, or both springs palcements, or shorten the axle on the drivers side to make it fit.

With the new axles and the Chevy motor change the t-case to a NP 205. It has a center output for the rear diff and will handle the faster highway speeds with out over heating which the NP-200 of the M37 can and will do.

Good luck with the truck and keep the pictures coming.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
nanuke1

Post by nanuke1 »

Nice simple job on your M! I live near Stillwater and we did the Winter Carnival about 3 years ago in our M37's. Pretty wild event for sure. DO you have any opinions of the 350 motor? I'm redoing my M this winter and do not want or need to do a complete restoration. Just want a good looking freeway able M37. My M37 is in near perfect shape already just need to swap out the power and drivetrain and paint.
Thanks
Greg
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly