History due to a picture

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

History due to a picture

Post by vtdeucedriver »

As some of you know my M-37 is done up a bit odd. We have seen some pics of newly built M-37s made it to Korea so I went out on a limb to make the truck something unique. As the history buff that I am, I did a little digging and ended up getting in contact with a very computer savy 82 year old Korean War veteran who was part of a EOD team during the war. I sent him pictures of my truck and Id like to share some responses. I think a few of you may enjoy.

Jeff,,well each squad ,we had 2 jeeps and a 6 by 6 2 1/2 ton truck later got truck with a bomb lifting boom. and later gave us one like your picture a dodge 3/4 ton weapons carrier we called them and took away one jeep. we had a wide board clear across the bottom of windshield with big letters saying explosive disposal don’t remember the colors actually made little difference .what ever color we had the squad friendly gook could use to paint with. also we found some dummy practice wooden bombs and painted them red and white and mounted in front of the grill, verticle .we werent allowed to have windshield down as gooks would stretch wires across road to cut heads off unsuspecting drivers and passengers at our speed limit of 20 the windshield would usually protect but many jeep operators had welded a strong upright brace on fronnt bumper to defeat the wire . I guessup on front were no guierellas there to plant the wires ,so windshield could be downand usually found the steel post braces there on the jeeps espescially. wehad red lights and siren on our jeeps ,,was our option if desired ,,would use if came up on an mp jeep and we were speeding turn it on and they wouldn’t bother us .the roads were mostly terrible and speed limits were strictly enforced . in city like seoul where were some remanants of pavement sometimes were allowed 25 mph . ok we were squads of 8 men each and were about a dozen or so squads operating in korea at any given time . an officer and 7 em's ,,were susposed to be sgts as british and others demanded an eod be at least a sgt. well we couldn’t be promoted as too many ww2 sgts were in country to fill the allowed ranks and all promotions were frozen during time I was there except to pfc ,which I got imediately upon arriving finally was mad cpl mont or so before I was to leave altho our capt wrote up orders making us all temp sgts to please the british and we wore the stripes .and carried the temp papers . that was basicly our squad as we serviced the british and marines . we got to eat in the british sgts mess which was much better food than the lower ranks. they thot we were all sgts .
iwas in a 15 mile to rear squad the 14th,when first got there ,but after a few months wasn’t getting g along good with the new capt and transfererd to the 98th squad ,,a front line squad and attached to 1st marine div for rations and quarters (property) they had no connection over us tho and we also were assigned to service the 1st british commonwealth div and all their foreign outfits .under UN. of course we serviced any biody who requested .we were base near munsan ni near I corps Hq and that was the service base for the truce talks at panmunjom, I got to go to panmunjom once to handle a 120mm dud that landed between the 2 conference tents was quite a thrill. I and a pfc handled it . we blew it in place as the chinese wouldn’t allow us to take it away. I stood face to face with the highest ranking commanders of the enemy and looked them in the eye ,,scary,, they were all big and tall not small like the EM. they were eying my 45 in holster ,,as were susposed not to have arms in there ,,but I was exception. as there for a purpose. most of us carried 45s as rifles were unhandy even carbines at times were in way of our work and we had law all soldiers in combat zone had to be armed at all times. no 45s were issued to lower ranks so we bought em was a terrific market for 45's there most were stolen ,or off a dead .but no one worried about it . I bought a ballister molina from a britt they were an argentine mfg,and just like a 1911 except no grip safety were a fine piece. otherwise I had an m2 carbine with 2 30 rd clips taped together that could be quickly turned over for a quick clip change .panmunjom was couple miles behind enemy lines and had to drive that on narrow lonley road,was scary,,enemy soldiers on both sides of road in fields in trucks waved to us!!!!! ,,weird! road was neutral sides of road werent, get off road and would be killed maybe .

I didn’t get in country till dec 51 and most of the line had stabillized by that time .didn’t get in time for the retreat from chosin resivoir ,thankfuly,I understand that after the retreat to hungnam for evacuation ,,our marines and many chinese fell in with our marines and surrendered and marched with the marines unarmed to hungnam and became prisoners ,,poor guys they were frozen ,,I under stand 2 or 3 ,maybe more of our squads blew the city of hungnam and the harbor as the last ship pulled out .and all eqpt left there , said was 14th ,i9th and I think 25th squads did that ,not totally sure may have been more .but eod did the job.
anyhow I spent the whole year of 52 there and left on rotatoion for discharge in jan 53 and was home and out by mar 53 .

anyhow as far as I know while I was there anyhow ,we,,eod,, lost no men to enemy fire at least while I was there ,,did lose 2 to stupid accident in the school at seoul for ones like myself who had no eod schooling . I was picked for my record and experience and asked to volenteer by major ogden ,our commanter in chief at the 24th eod control detachment in seoul,it sounded good so I did ,,never regretted it .all eod was volenteer you could quit anytime without reason. they were short on schooled people and so asked people with similar experience or schoolingto join and I was one of those .I was trained in armor and attended the armorerd school in ft knox and assigned to ord corps on arrival in korea .I did attend the eod school in seoul but not the one that the accident occurred at. I was earlier .I am trying not to put any classified info in here as we had to sign a release on discharge we could not discuss anything that happened in korea or any other negative things ,subject to life imprisoment in ft leavenworth. don’t know how long that was good for ,but I must be careful. so my discussion wil. be for most part general.and non committal. I will close here and will continue as time permits with more , pardon the spelling as im not a typist and is kinda difficult . for me at my age ,,82,,
at that time eod was totally independent of other army control and didn’t have to take no crap from anyone except our own commander sand they were mostly great.now I think its different and have organized more like rest of services .our insignia then was a cloth patch of a red bomb with yellow stripe outline on a black back ground ,wih another yellow stripe around ,, it was oblong vertical and about 3 inches long we wore on our left pocket or on hat ,,these are non existant and cannot obtain anywhere ive tried , not used any more they have nice metal wings insignia now ,I brought a few home but think the kids or mice got them ,no longer have ,,would give anything for one or several quite a collector piece.
will be lots more as have time and feel up to it ,,,,Bob
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Re: History due to a picture

Post by vtdeucedriver »

heres the deal for a day there in war ,,the eod has it much better than any of the other army,,then,,don’t know about now ,,we lived to ourselves usually 8 men together maybe one tent or two as needed or a small house ,or throw up a quonset hut . fix up for quarters and office . we stay there till call comes in for service (a job) we lay on our bunks drink beer ,if drink,,, and read ,listen to armed forces radio ,,many days you do nothing ,tend to personal affairs write letters ect ,but if a call comes in you jump on it get it done and back home .if you have a good C.O. and most of time do. anyhow you draw rations for more than 8 and usually have own mess or eat in reg outfit mess depending on what your location or situation is we had about a dozen gooks working for our squad had their own tents ect,,doing all our chores ,and our cooking and mess we drew rations for 25 as that’s a small as marines would break it down for ,so had lots extra. we got free beer cheap whisky (I didn’t drink) and free cigarettes ,and candy bars ,,all for more than 8 men so had lots of extra. thje govt paid for our gook employees . wages . also had couple gook houseboys (servants) to do all our personal stuff laundry ect .and how,,, when we d go to a front line outfit was a bit hazardous and usually picked up a dud and got out ,,we go home where it more safe than on front line .wed live back a little ways ,,now this wouldnt work if line static only if stable while I was there . did see a bit of combat at times up on front and dodge a few rounds ,,ha ,, but not like living up there . we EOD were there to save lives ,not take them and of course we were always onlook out for, duds if traveling have our gook interpreter ask other natives if any puktong (explosives known of ,,often wed get some to pick up we knew what we could pretty much safely handle and haul in to ones wed have to blow in place .we took no chances if dangerous wed blow in place even if had to evacuate a whole village which I did once for 2 500 lb bombs I blew . they were not happy campers but after the explosions were very happy I had evacuated them .using our interpreter and other gook helper .and sometimes wed go and pick up some grade 3 ammo to be destroyed and take to our demo area and stack it till had enough for a big blow ,,we were blowing about 50 tons of duds and bad ammo a month and other squads about the same, sound s a lot but really isnt .if anything really dangerous the officer was obligated to do it ,or the higjhest ranking man there . anyhow that’s about average days we had it easy so much better than poor dog faces .we got hazzardous duty pay too. then infantry didn’t ,,later they did too. more later ,, oh yeah where we lived in the 98th squad we had a high hill behind our quarters,,and sometimes on warm nights wed hike to top of hill there in perfectsafety we d watch the tracers go across the line back and forth sometimes youd hear a small arms fire fight ,when some patrols would make contact , all the rattle of the different guns and then periodicly here the blast of a burp gun a few of enemy had them the ppsh 41 would empty their 72 rd drum in 2 1/2 seconds . really fast sound ,,burrrrrrup!!! dam drums then would take a long time to reload had to take em apart to do it .but oh how deadly..chinese had a lot of thompson sub machine guns 45 cal they got from US as lend lease in WW2 they used them against us as few had the russian burp gun the ppsh 41 . I had a thompson for a while and loved it then it broke during a guerilla attack and coundnt get it fixed at ordinance so scrapped it ..most of them were from enemy at chosin,,,, troops on line didn’t seem to have . so couldn’t find another r. Bob

1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Very Cool

Thanks for sharing.

Brett
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Very nice! It's great to hear it from the guys themselves who lived it.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
themoose74
PVT
PVT

Post by themoose74 »

Bob's stories are great to read...thanks for sharing them!

Do you think this is the patch he described? It looks close (minus the yellow border), but this particular one is sold. Scroll to the last one on the page

http://www.whisperinghope.net/wwiipatches.htm

Bo
Bo
_________
1945 GPW
1953 M37
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

we handled cold not very good ,,suffererd a lot ,,thank god we were eod and had good quarters ,and 2 stoves in our tents if using tents or 2 stoves in quonset hut in 98th we built . on coldest nights sometimes the stoves went out the diesel turned to thick and wouldnt flow we mixed gasoline with it , sometimes our fuel was mostly gasoline running into the stoves to burn. one morning in 14th squad was 40 below ,,stoves went out and no one would get up I hopped to door in my mummy bag and zipped it down and p'd and rezipped up and hopped back to cot . and gook mattress I had bought in seoul. Lt puckett -14th ,our C.O. came and got the stoves going and told us to stay in bed and he would do it and wait till warmed up to get up ,,he was a jewell of a c.o. few would do that ,,he cared for his men ,as told you we had poor clothes till the 2nd winter for me which was 3rd korean winter . the gooks got the best clothes from our govt ,,why we hated them so much .govt favorerd them over own men.
3rd winter clothes werent too bad ,,but I wasn’t there long got out about near end of jan. took 2 months to process to go home .slow trips. and lots of wait and waste. vehicles we did nothing other than normal winter prep often took till noon or after to get one or 2 started sometimes built a wood fire under eng of vehicle to get it started . yeah we had batt chargers and electric, sometimes or generators .it was a mess .
if you want winter clothes get a korean era parka ,with wolf fur and a russian style fur brim and ear hat,and some micky mouse boots ,black and od field pants wore over wol od dress pants and long johns ,,gi wool dress shirt ,,no cameo in those days all plain od . and the old pot helmets with liners we seldom wore but carried them in our vehicle .
if I repeat myself ,forgive me ,,this is kinda hard to do and recall all and remember what ive recalled .im not doing it in order very good as I said later I will do a stretch in order and try to get experiences straight and in order. in the 14th we were above the 38th and was colder there ,,but at the 98th it was below the 38th alto was a front line squad considererd where 14th wasn’t considererd a front line squad altho further north,,cause it was on east coast and 98th was in the west part .the line slanted down to the west .anyhow wasn’t as cold at the 98th near panmunjom.so no as much trouble with stoves and vehicles .and had our nice warm quonset hut and nice house for mess hall kitchen we shared with mp unit that served as the police for the truce talks at pan-jom. they had the other nice house for their quarters ,,our gooks had tents .. 16x32 type . we had a chef that was chef in a huge hotel in paris france before the war and he did us well we sat down and were served restuerant style at the 98th and the best of food and prepared .mr lee was the chef and his . our govt paid for all this . doubt they knew what they were paying for . gooks were the servers . ,,bedtime am tired ,,Bob

1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

themoose74 wrote:Bob's stories are great to read...thanks for sharing them!

Do you think this is the patch he described? It looks close (minus the yellow border), but this particular one is sold. Scroll to the last one on the page

http://www.whisperinghope.net/wwiipatches.htm

Bo
In one of our E mails I sent him a pic of that same patch as I have a couple and he said it was close. Ive been looking, got to find him one.

1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Well tonight I sent a e mail to Bob with some pictures I took over the weekend. Some members of my MV club and I supported a Veterans parade and we decided to make a long weekend out of it by doing some period camping. I did not manage to get pics of the two GPW's, two Harley WLA's and my M-37 together but we did have some pretty good comraderie on friday and saturday with the temps dipping down to 32 degrees on saturday night. Here are the pictures and hopefully I will get a good responce from the person that inspired me to do so.

1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1