Tires

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Tires

Post by JimC »

I've been out of it for so long, I've forgotten what little I ever knew about M-37's.
So-- I'm looking for advice.

I used to run 9.00x16 directional Firestone Super All-Tractions. I liked the directional tread, but they weren't tall enough (I like tall tires more than wide ones -- mud, no rock around here.)

Now, I'm attracted to the Super Swamper Boggers or Iroks. What size would you guys recommend? And which tire? Engine was a 375 HP 396, but after 45 years, it needs an overhaul, so I'm planning to replace it with a 502 crate motor (hydraulic lifters, moderate rpm). My days of doing 111 mph on the highway in the 37 are long behind me :-)..... Transmission is a Muncie SM-465. Still running the stock 5.83's, with a KS-22 No-Spin rear differential, and Warn lockouts.
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Tires

Post by Tuko »

Q78x16 is available as a super swamper 35" tall 10" wide fit a stock truck very well, I run em they ride great.
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

But are they radials? I had Stockton Wheel weld my Budd centers into a tubeless rim so I can run radials. I don't want to go back to bias ply to much thumpy thump.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

What is a Q78 ?
Is it a non-directional tread?
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

They are bias ply, I let mine sit for weeks and the truck doesn't ride any rougher then usual haha! Q78x16 is just the size, they are regular super swampers. I ordered them online $290 ea shipped
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

DAP wrote:But are they radials? I had Stockton Wheel weld my Budd centers into a tubeless rim so I can run radials. I don't want to go back to bias ply to much thumpy thump.
How did that turn out? I'd like to do the same thing, with the same offset and rim dimensions, but do away with the lockring and tubes. I have heard experiences across the board with Stockton.
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Stockton Wheels

Post by DAP »

I have had them make 3 sets of 5 rims each and one set of 4 rims over the years. Each time I have been very satisfied. BUT, twice they messed up but eventually made good on them (I supplied them with the Budd centers and they had to find replacements). It took them 6 months once, 8 months another, 9 months and 12 months so you can't be in a hurry. The guys in the front office don't know much so I always deal with Harley - he knows his stuff. Not sure how long he will be there under the new owners.
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Vintage power wagons now has tubeless rims in stock. They are 17" and I think they are $350 each. I don't know if they are on their website, but it was mentioned in a email newsletter. They looked pretty good too.

Brett
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Stockton Wheels

Post by ZGjethro »

DAP wrote:I have had them make 3 sets of 5 rims each and one set of 4 rims over the years. Each time I have been very satisfied. BUT, twice they messed up but eventually made good on them (I supplied them with the Budd centers and they had to find replacements). It took them 6 months once, 8 months another, 9 months and 12 months so you can't be in a hurry. The guys in the front office don't know much so I always deal with Harley - he knows his stuff. Not sure how long he will be there under the new owners.
This is what I have read about. Does anyone have any experience with the wheels they offer for military and old dodge trucks? Does the 16"x8 on this page http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html work on a M37? Offset looks different
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

It is supposed to but I don't like the "flat plate" look. So I found some rusted Budd rims and drilled out the rivets, pushed out the centers and sent them the centers to weld in. The turn them down slightly to make them fit and end up cutting them about half way thru the rivet holes. The end result is about a 1/4" - 1/2" offset so the rims stick out ever so slightly more but I have a tubeless rim that looks like the original Budd rim until you get close enough to see it is not a lock ring. Since it is custom work you really have to talk to Harley to make sure they do it right. I have been overly patient in waiting for them to do the rims. So if you are in a hurry forget Stockton
1962 M37B1
Chuck
PVT
PVT

Post by Chuck »

Hi Jim
If you are interested,I have a new set of 5 military GKN1piece tubeless M37 wheels,16in 6.5 wide and painted 24087.These are a Govt.replacement for the 2 piece M37 wheel.$1625 for a set of 5=$325ea .Southeastern Equipment is asking $399ea painted black. I sold the truck that they were intended for.
Chuck
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Hi, Chuck.
Is there an advantage in them over the stock M37 rims? I think I've got 12-14 of the stock rims that are in serviceable condition.
Chuck
PVT
PVT

Post by Chuck »

You don't need tubes or flaps and with new radials they should balance with minimal weight. Many tire shops won't touch a two piece rim.
Chuck
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Tire shops might not touch them, but I will (though I don't enjoy it much). I quit thinking it was fun about 1965.

Tubes have their place. I like them.