Type of winch??

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

sarsmassi
PVT
PVT

Type of winch??

Post by sarsmassi »

I have staring at this winch there isn't a data plate on it and it doesn't look like a m37 winch to me. Any ideas?? I found one part number on it. Its defiantly military. still trying to add pics may never figure it out just says files to big
sarsmassi
PVT
PVT

Re: Type of winch??

Post by sarsmassi »

well if u know anything about military pto winchs I guess I could just email piks. IDK Thanxs http://www.flickr.com/photos/98556082@N04/9232130653/
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Looks like a Braden LU-4 winch to me, but someone else may be able to more definitively identify it.

52 M-42
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Agreed (what's left of an LU-4, anyway).
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Was that LU-4 in a fire?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
sarsmassi
PVT
PVT

Post by sarsmassi »

Thanx for all the responses guys! No its never been n a fire lol. But it has been painted atleast 3 times. It was working good but I was going through the fluids and noticed the oil just went straight out of the seal behind the spool. After fighting to get it out i realized how hard its gonna b just to get to that one seal and expensive. I think im gonna switch out to an electric one. It came off an m37 but all of the mounting stuff was hm made which left me wondering what it came from. Especially without anything to identify it.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I believe the oil level inthe winch is supposed to be below the shaft. there should be a plug on the housingyou rmeove up at the full point and when it pours out of that its full. it should stil problaby have a new seal but sounds like your over filling it. switching to an electric is a dowgrade IMO. the power of a PTO winch is simply amazing compared to even a 12K electric. I have had to rescue quite a few rigs with nice electric winches and dual batteries and HD alternators. the PTO winch rules at the end of the day.
sarsmassi
PVT
PVT

Post by sarsmassi »

I just talk to my friend who is a dodge guru been working on them in his shop 40 yrs and has 8 m37s. He said it takes grease not oil???! I have read other posts about this and I have read both. IDK its hard not to trust someone who has so much experience.
rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

Post by rtkjmk »

IT takes Mobil 600 Winch oil , very high Viscosity , NOT GREASE , and you are missing the spacer bar and top plate , BTW , they have to be one of the easiest units to rebuild . VERY GOOD UNITS , IMHO , way better that any ELECTRIC winch , the only thing that stops that winch is a broken shear pin or the engine stalls ! bob k
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

rtkjmk wrote:IT takes Mobil 600 Winch oil , very high Viscosity , NOT GREASE , and you are missing the spacer bar and top plate , BTW , they have to be one of the easiest units to rebuild . VERY GOOD UNITS , IMHO , way better that any ELECTRIC winch , the only thing that stops that winch is a broken shear pin or the engine stalls ! bob k
Thanks for the pointer on the MobilGear lube, Bob. Any preference as to the oil weight?

The lube order in TM 9-8030 specifies "GO" ("Lubricant, gear, universal") in a 90 weight for operation above 32degf, a 75 weight for operation between +40degf and -10degf, and a "GOS" (not sure what weight that is) for temps from 0degf to -65degf.

MobilGear 600XP is available in weights starting at 68 ISO (apx SAE 80W), 100 ISO (apx SAE 85W), and higher. I'm thinking that either 600XP 100 ISO or 68 ISO would be good year-round gear lubes for the winch.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

Post by rtkjmk »

It calls for Mobil 600 in 460 weight . It sounds heavy , but it really isn't , really nice lube for the winch , BTW, only fill to the plug level on both sides , takes about a QUART a side . bob k :D
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

No Grease in the winch.

Use ISO 460 Worm Gear Lube.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Thanks guys. ISO 460 is definitely a heavier weight than I would have used based on the original lube chart.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
sarsmassi
PVT
PVT

Post by sarsmassi »

pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

sarsmassi wrote:I just talk to my friend who is a dodge guru been working on them in his shop 40 yrs and has 8 m37s. He said it takes grease not oil???! I have read other posts about this and I have read both. IDK its hard not to trust someone who has so much experience.

Believe it or not...I have actually seen this. Not correct by any stretch, but I've seen it!

Guy did it to save himself not replacing the seals