Another Titling Question - Model Number?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Another Titling Question - Model Number?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I was reading the Application for Certificate of Title from the Maryland MVA and there's a box that asks for the "Model Number". I'm just wondering what you guys put for that answer if the form you used in your state asked that question. The obvious answer is "M37", but I fear that if someone figures out it's a military vehicle it could cause trouble. I looked on the title I have for my M that I got from Virginia last year and it's listed as a 3/4 ton Dodge Pickup, not an M37. I guess I could put "PowerWagon" in that box and most wouldn't be the wiser.....but I'm curious as to what you guys did. Or do the people who enter the data into the system have no idea and think and M37 is an Infiniti coupe?

thanks,
bob
EMD567
PVT
PVT

Re: Another Titling Question - Model Number?

Post by EMD567 »

On my Va title, it is listed as a 1953 Dodge pickup. Mine was used by the city of Hampton Roads Va before falling into private ownership. I will title it as the same here in SC when I am ready to put her on the road. :mrgreen:
John, in Aiken SC, Where trains run down the center of the parkway
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Just titled mine in NJ. Listed as 1953, make: DOD, Model: M37, Body Type: TRK
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Bob,
I will begin with the stock disclaimer that each state seems to do things differently, and my experience is from Vermont. Several years ago I bought a slightly better than a basket case 57 W-100 Power Wagon. I went in to DMV to register it. Vt will not title vehicles over 25 years old (I think its 25). Vt DMV mostly charges tax on the middle book value, not your purchase price. Too many guys showing up with fake bill of sale for $100 I suppose. I put in my purchase price, and when the clerk got to the line for tax, he reached under the counter and pulled out what looked like a magazine. He flipped through it, found "57 Dodge W-100, and taxed me on $7,500! OW. I showed him a picture of the truck, and he gave me an appraisal form, to be filled out by a Body Shop. I took it to a friend who has a shop, he filled it out so it came out at my purchase price and I mailed it in. DMV promptly sent me a refund check.
Fast forward to 2011. I am back at DMV to register the M37. Same deal, he reaches under the counter for his magazine. Flips around in the Dodge section, what? no M37. I explain it is a military truck. He gets on the phone to Montpelier and talks to a Superviser. I can hear him explaining it to the Boss, and after a minute he hangs up and says to me, "We are going to charge you tax on your purchase price ($600) .
So, in my case, full disclosure worked. If I had said 52 Power Wagon, they would have hit me pretty hard, because they DO know what these trucks are worth.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Thanks for the input guys! Tim....thanks for the info. See...it' stuff like that that scares me. So let's talk about the military truck thing. Are there any states that flat out won't title a military vehicle? Or am I worrying about nothing? Sounds like some people list the model as "M37" and others as a pickup truck. Which I guess means it works either way.

Good info....thanks!

bob
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

I can beat that. In NJ you have to take pictures of your vehicle to DMV when you title it as antique. It has to be in good condition. She goes to computer and checks Wikipedia for Dodge M37 and has issue since no side racks are pictured it can't be titled as antique. I had her go to Vintage Power Wagon site where they had pictures of the bed showing the side racks. That is why I suggest taking manuals with you to DMV to prove your point.

Rick
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Granted it is in mass..

but my title lists it as a "3/4 ton dodge" then for the model # says M-37.

The gentleman helping me at the RMV drove these in the army, and was tickled to be helping me! The M-37 designation hasn't been a problem in paperwork for me so far.
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

When I finished the M37, and figured it was time to get the title and registration. I went to Northeast Title and Tag ( in PA ) . Showed them what I had ( vehicle type) and the little paperwork I had. I was told I couldn't get a title from there. I would have to take it to county court. I went to my lawyer, he said that's what I have to do. I gave him all that I had. Previous owner inf , vehicle type and numbers. All I'll say It's been many moons and I still don't have a court date yet. Let alone a title.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Hi Guys, NJ cert. of title states: Z (suffix) dod (dodge make) M37 (model) PKUP (body type) With a standard title Hope this helps. vinnytruck
vinnytruck
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

majorhitt wrote:When I finished the M37, and figured it was time to get the title and registration. I went to Northeast Title and Tag ( in PA ) . Showed them what I had ( vehicle type) and the little paperwork I had. I was told I couldn't get a title from there. I would have to take it to county court. I went to my lawyer, he said that's what I have to do. I gave him all that I had. Previous owner inf , vehicle type and numbers. All I'll say It's been many moons and I still don't have a court date yet. Let alone a title.

Tht's exactly why I advise anyone to get the title straightened out BEFORE you rebuild your vehicle! What are you going to do it they flat our refuse to title it? You're only option will be to sell it for parts or part it out yourself!

Besides, as PW Tim pointed out, if they see pictures of a wreck, they'll value it (and tax it) a lot less than they would a fully retored vehicle.
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

w30bob wrote:Hi Guys,
but I fear that if someone figures out it's a military vehicle it could cause trouble.
Why do you think that will cause trouble? In my experience it being a former military vehicle is nothing but all good! Doesn't have to meet smog specs, seat belts not required, registration and tags are dirt cheap, etc. The only drawback that I've seen is that in some states (including Florida) if you tag it as a former military or fire fighter vehicle, you're only allowed to drive it for "display purposes"! Technically you can't even drive it down to get tires put on it! Of course, i've never heard of anyone being ticketed for driving one but the possiblity is there so I got Year Of Manufacture tags for mine and have no restrictions. And the title still says M37.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

As was stated, all states are different. My M37B1 is registered as a 67 Dodge pick up. No title on pre 74? vehicles. Now I first tried at DMV for a regular reggy and plate. Well it's over 5500 pounds and it would have to be a commercial registration and cost about $80 a year. I switch gears and did the paperwork for Historical. Now the 2 year reggy costs $53 and unlike commercial I can drive on a parkway with my 4:89 gears, I won't but could. Sure wish I could get historical for my F150 :lol:
MY Life Past and Present
http://crayonmedia.com/wayne/