Combat Rims.....Ooooooh Yeeaah!

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

DOT never approved any WC Dodge, miltary or civilian

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

The Department of Transportation was established by an act of Congress on October 15, 1966. The Department’s first official day of operation was April 1, 1967.

DOT restrictions applied only to vehicles manufactured AFTER a restriction went into effect. I know of no US DOT restriction that was retroactive. Do not confuse restrictions put into effect by a state. No WC Dodge was built with DOT approval. (WC Dodges - 1/2, 3/4, & 1 1/2 ton military and 1/2 ton 2WD pickups 1941 through 1947) Also true of M37's.

Remember it was new DOT restrictions that helped to end WM300 sales in the United States. There's no requirement for me to add dash crash padding om my 1947 WDX, but guys with the last year production WM300 better have them.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Re: Combat Rims.....Ooooooh Yeeaah!

Post by snowdad »

Paull,
What restrictions put it out of production? Always thought those were the toughest looking trucks.
Phillip
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Combat Rims.....Ooooooh Yeeaah!

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Most have conceded it was federal guidelines concerning early emissions regulations that did them in; don't know why, but apparently Chrysler was not willing to make the necessary engine upgrades to comply. '68 was the last models that were sold by stateside dealers, they continued until '71 for export only if memory serves correctly. My guess is that Chrysler was beginning to realize and apparent end to profitability. You know things were changing in business and industry where the infamous PW's had served so proudly for so long. New generations coming along who looked for glitz and glitter instead of good old fashioned reliability in a well functioning truck that could do the job better than glitz and glitter ever will.

We see it today, especially in our fire service customers. New guys coming in can't drive it unless it's automatic; and GOD FORBID if it isn't covered in chrome. Doesn't matter if they have already proven current production stuff won't hold a candle as far as off road needs; this is junk in the younger generations eyes. Talk common sense, nope, not happening.

I hate to say this, but truth is truth. Fire service people today in general have taken a holier than thou attitude. Most seem to think everyone owes them something. I certainly appreciate what they do, that is the ones that are really doing, there is a significant number who are there for reasons other than providing services. We have almost stopped providing service to fire depts. as a result. Many of them simply will not pay for services rendered or want to wait 3-4 months to pay. Tell me a business that can survive these days operating on that program. Not worth the hassle. We have an outstanding bill now that runs into the thousands of $$, no hope of ever seeing a dime.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com