Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Who is ACCO?

Post by k8icu »

Bob,

According to the company website "The Aurora Cord & Cable Company (ACCC) was founded in 1966 to manufacture electrical assemblies and lighting systems for military vehicles."

So if you have light assemblies on your truck wtih their marking then that goes back to some of my statements that parts is parts and parts were put on trucks as needed. In the case of your truck it seems like they would have been replacement parts put on in the motor pool.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi K8,

Yup. Since ACCO started in 1966 that explains why there is no manufacturer's code for them in ORD 9. The parts they made weren't around when the first batch of M37's were made. As for my truck.......all my electrical components and front lights are AutoLite, per ORD 9. It didn't have any tail lights when I got it, but they should be AutoLite's as well. Turned out there were quite a lot of companies that supplied spare tail lights by the time ACCO came onboard. I guess that's because those lights were used on other vehicles and trailers besides the M37. Good stuff.

thanks,
bob
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Actually had a Gamma Goat show up to a cruise in last week. I noticed it's blackout lamps said "ACCO" as well. ACCO appears to still be around and mfgs bulbs and lamps , I found alot of products online for sale as far as automotive and household bulbs, I could not locate a homepage for them however?
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

ACCO is also American Can Co. They made the cans and a LOT (all?) of canning machinery used to made C-rats during WW-II. I have a book by them about that. I don't know but considering their experence in working sheet steel, I won't be surprised to learn that they also made stamped out lamp housings. Simililarly, Guide Lamp was a division of General Motors that made stamped out tail lights for them but during WW II that also made the stamped out Liberator pistol and stamped parts for a number of other guns.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Joe......someone's been digging in the archives! :D

I did run across American Can Co when I was trying to find info on ACCO. They probably didn't make the tail light housings used on the M, as they are cast, not stamped...but they did make lots of stuff.

regards,
bob
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

w30bob wrote:Hi Joe......someone's been digging in the archives! :D
Sort of! Just catching up on stuff that I hadn't gotten around to looking at in a while. Too many other projects going on! :D

BTW I don't understand the post about the Aurora Cord & Cable Company since they're ACCC and not ACCO.

PS: OP, the next time you see an ACCO marked part you should try to find a CAGE code on it. With that you can DEFINITELY find the right manufacturer. CAGE codes are what the DOD uses to track manufacturers.

FWIW I went to the Defense Logistics Agency's website and searched for ACCO and I got 455 hits! And that's just the companies with that name and that have an assigned CAGE code!

<http://www.logisticsinformationservice. ... sults.aspx>