Military spark plug wires to ward off rat damage?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

leop
PVT
PVT

Military spark plug wires to ward off rat damage?

Post by leop »

I have an M37 that someone put a civilian distributor into; without also changing to the civilian oil pump. :roll:

I was going to go ahead and put a civilian oil pump into it to prevent the wobbling distributor from doing even more damage to the block’s distributor bushing when it occurred to me that it might be better to go back to the military distributor . Why you ask – other than for originality??

Rats :shock: !!!, that’s why. Let me explain.

The truck has to stay outside. No matter what I do, rats get into it. They need to chew on stuff to stay alive and they love spark plug wires – which I end up purchasing in bulk for all my vehicles.
Does anyone have any experience to show that the steel braid surrounding the military style wires will prevent the little buggers from eating the wires? How expensive are the wires and plugs? Any recommendations on where to get them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Leo

Note – Also posted on Dodge Power Wagon Forum
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Military spark plug wires to ward off rat damage?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Leo,

Rats eh? The military spark plug wires are steel braid, but that's then covered in rubber. So the rats will be tearing thru the outer rubber coating. If your rats chew thru steel braid.......you might want to consider an exterminator......collecting cats.........or moving. :D

You can get the wires and plugs from the usual players, Midwest Military, Vintage Power Wagons, etc. Prices for a set of wires seems to run between $195 to $250 a set. The best price I've seen on plugs was AB Linn on Ebay, but figure on about $10 a plug. I'm sure the guys on here can narrow it down a bit for you based on their buying experiences.

regards,
bob
leop
PVT
PVT

Post by leop »

Thanks Bob.

Actually rats do BILLIONS of $$ of damage to car wiring every year. Bills range from $1K to over $11K with the average being $4k! The worst problem is seen in New York City!!! Thank God I live in the country where we apparently have less Rats then the city :shock:

One interesting note is that Hondas suffer the most damage becuase Honda uses a "green" type of plastic in the thier wire looms. The plastic is derived frmo Soy Beans and apparently it tasts great to the rats.

Who would have thought that an M37 parked in the country would be more safe from rat damage then a brand new Honda parked in Manhattan :lol:

Thanks Again for your help.

Leo
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Get the big rat traps. and secure them in place. I saw traps at a friend's house with a tether to a peg. He said if it doesn't kill them they cart the trap away with them.
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Interesting thought!

If I were you and were going to change the distributor, I'd go and get a fully rebuilt one from VPW and not mess around.

I would think the steel braided cables may nip the problem in the bud :lol:

Or like others have said here...you've got some vicious rats!

It may save you some $$ in the long run. I have found civi distributor parts are easier to get at NAPA in my town however.