always learning

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

always learning

Post by Tuko »

was continuing cleaning up parts on the ole 51 and today was assess the gauges day. I noticed alot on the site, and on trucks I check out on ebay that in the instrument cluster there must have been a change in model years where they moved the high beam switch to the instrument cluster from off the floor. So on my truck in that spot I noticed a hole (1/4" or so) and it was painted the same color of the dash (slime green) never thought much of it as my high beam switch is on the floor. So continuing on the cleanup and prep for paint, the red domes for the dash lighting was dirty and had overspray so I figured out how to take them apart and cleaned them up, checked the bulbs, etc. and then looking at where the high beam switch would be I see it looks like a similar housing. So what did I learn today? instead of a high beam switch I have a interior light that had previously covered up in paint. that 1/4" hole has a red lens behind it and with the dash light shines into the cab for reading maps, etc through the instrument panel. Pretty cool stuff, never knew it, now I do! 8)
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: always learning

Post by w30bob »

Tuko,

I could be wrong......but to the best of my knowledge they never moved the high beam switch from the floor to the dash......it's always been on the floor. If you look at high beam switches you see at meets and on Ebay they come in both the Douglas connector style and the Packard connector style...but they're both floor switches. The 1/4" hole you see in the dash is where the INDICATOR LAMP for the high beam switch is located. When you hit the high beam switch with your foot a light behind that 1/4" hole comes on. When your truck was new there were two labels on the instrument cluster....one was "FUEL" under the fuel gauge and the other was "HIGH BEAM" under that 1/4" hole you're talking about. Check it out.........

regards,
bob

ClusterM37 by w30bob, on Flickr
rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

Post by rtkjmk »

That is exactly right , that 'Hole" in the dash is for the High Beam indicator light , which should be red in color . You should get yourself a set of TM's for your ride . They will help explain just about everything you need to know on your M37 . bob k
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

allright well that makes sense! for some reason I remember seeing what looked like a switch in that high beam spot on some trucks on ebay making me think that.

My G741 Registry Entry
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Tuko
Reading your post on the high beam switch got me a bit confused. As Bob mentioned, and as far as I know the high beam switch was always on the floor. Now for the confusion, you mentioned that you see something that may be a switch for the high beams in that spot. Where is "that" spot? If you could post a photo of your dash and somehow mark the spot where the switch is located that'll help. I must confess (this is for you Bob) Almost every M37 that shows up on E-bay I look at real good, for things that the owners add or relocate or remove. My wife thinks I'm nuts you see one M37, you see them all see says. Just recently an M37 was listed, it was listed as a M37CDN. I looked for an item on the dash, the door and in the engine compartment that would be typical for a M37CDN. I'm not an expert, However I learned a lot. If we could be of any help, Like locating a switch or why something doesn't work right I'm sure we'll give it our best shot. Photos do help. You M37 friend Ed
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

My truck just has the indicator but if I see that truck again with the switch in the spot where the high beam indicator is ill copy and paste it over to here. I do the same thing with the trucks on eBay and Craigslist too!

My G741 Registry Entry