Battery Box mounting

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Re: Battery Box mounting

Post by m37jarhead »

snowdad wrote:Thanks jarhead. Was it a captured nut setup or a bolt, washer, and nut setup that secured everything in place?
Phillip
Phillip:
Bolts, nuts and washers were used on my battery box to secure to the floor. Washers are the cookie cuter type, so it
all "looks" original to me.
The post above answers the question about the drain tube on the battery tray. Makes sense. No sign of the metal tube
on my tray. Probably rotted out years ago.
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

snowdad wrote:Thanks jarhead. Was it a captured nut setup or a bolt, washer, and nut setup that secured everything in place?
Phillip
Phillip:
The bolts are not connected to "captured" nuts. What I found on mine were bolts with the military/Dodge type "cookie-cuter" washers stuck through
the tray and box and put into the four holes in the floor board. There was also a conventional lock washer and nut attached to the outside
of the floorboard. Two lock washers seems redundant to me but that's what I found. I'll probably also put a flat washer on the outside
of the floorboard before putting on the conventional lock washer and nut. Just seems like the right thing to do.

If it was by design or not for Dodge to NOT use captured nuts, I think it works out better. We all know how excess battery acid raises
hell with nuts and bolts and the subsequent rust it causes. Now at least we can use incredible hulk type muscle to snap off rusty bolts
and then simply replace with new nuts, bolts and washer. If it were captured nuts it would turn into another restoration night-mare.
JB
JB
Past Pres
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I think a few pics will shed some light on this one. The first pic is of the metal drain tube in the battery tray (the tray is upside down in the pic). The end of the tube is jagged, so I'm not sure how long it was originally. Mayb someone out there has an NOS tray and can measure for us.

The next two pics answer the captive nuts question. There were no captive nuts. The holes in the cab floor that the battery tray mounting bolts attach to are threaded. You have to look close in the pics....but you can see the threads.

regards,
bob

DSC03738 by w30bob

DSC03739 by w30bob

DSC03740 by w30bob
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

There has got to be something besides the floor there. That would be way too thick to just be the floor metal. Mine is rusted out. Actually one of the only rusted spots on the vehicle.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Snowdad,

No, nothing else there.....I climbed under when I took those pics a hour or so ago. The floor is thick in that area, but remember you only see about 6 threads in the hole and it's a fine thread bolt...so it's not THAT thick. When I got my M back in March? the first thing I did was take out the batteries, the battery tray, and the battery box due to all the wet leaves and dirt in that area. If you look thru those threaded holes you can see the ground....and when I took out the bolts there were no nuts or washers on the ground....so the only thing holding those bolts to the floor were those 6 threads per hole.

I looked in ORD 9 and there is only 4 screws listed to mount the battery tray and box to the floor. They are 3/8-24NF-3 x 34. No nuts or washers listed with it. One other thing I found is there is a listing for a "connector" and a "drain hose" that attach to the metal drain pipe on the bottom of the battery tray. No other explanation was given and there's no diagram showing them.

regards,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Oooops!. Make that 3/8-24NF-3 x 3/4. Sorry about that.

bob
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Ooooops.... I stand corrected.
Per the photo post from w30bob above, I took another gander at the bolt holes in the floor
board that match up with the battery box. Sure enough, there ARE "captured" nuts down
there. Just like Bob said: 3/8 24 NF. Apparently someone had installed the box in my
truck with smaller bolts and used standard nuts and lock washers.

I chased all the threads on the captured nuts. They look real good so I'll re-assemble with
Dodge Brothers bolts and military washers.

Sorry for the incorrect information that I posted previously on this subject.

Tomorrow I'll get to the store to try to find some rubber grommets that will
fit properly in the 1" holes.
Pic's to follow...... I hope.
JB
Past Pres
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

m37jarhead wrote:Ooooops.... I stand corrected.
AAAAWW Dang, he admitted he was wrong, I had the tar and feathers all ready too :shock:

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Monkey Man wrote:
m37jarhead wrote:Ooooops.... I stand corrected.
AAAAWW Dang, he admitted he was wrong, I had the tar and feathers all ready too :shock:

MM :D

Honesty is the best policy but cheat whenever you can!! :D :D :D
Past Pres
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Here's a pic of the floorboard in the battery box area. Lot's of holes and grommets.
Note threads on captured nuts.
Past Pres
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

M37jarhead where did u get your grommets? Found some close ones on line but they wanted $17 just to ship 5 of them
Gerry

53 M37
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Gerry wrote:M37jarhead where did u get your grommets? Found some close ones on line but they wanted $17 just to ship 5 of them

Gerry: Found them at Home Depot. Bag says: Crown Bolt 3/4" neopreme rubber, $1.29 each.
Assume the 3/4" is the i.d. Buy five of them for the drain holes and the battery tray tube.
Get the fattest ones you can find. Might also try Lowes, Ace, Tru-Value and the like.
The two smaller holes, center left and center right are also probably drain holes but I don't know for sure.
They're just smaller holes in the floor board.
I grommeted them too; not sure why.
Jerry
Past Pres
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Jerry,
I saw those and didnt get them because they said 3/4. Will give them a try.
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Hello Bob. And everyone else. I've been a bit tied up and not on the web sites. After going through the post I went out and checked what was in my Ms, The 51, every thing is bolted down and in the way. I don't remember what I used for the grommets. The 54, the battery floor is in rough shape, However, the two bolt holes in the mid section are threaded the others are pass through. I do like the photo Gerry posted, looks fantastic! I recall seeing grommets that Front line was selling, they may have been for the M151. Gerry, could you refresh my memory a little? In your photo, what are the two smaller holes for? There are four that are in the corners ( one in each corner) Two that are threaded and two smaller ones. The two smaller ones are what I can't recall the use. That's if I got it right. Once you start to post a reply you can't go back to look what you're talking about. CRS stikes again. Thanks ED
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

OK The CRS hit hard. There are four threaded holes not two. OK,Lets see, four for the outer mounting with grommets, four with threads no grommets, one for the drain with a grommet, and two far out with grommets. What function do the two outer ones do? Just way too many holes to deal with. Thanks ED