Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Wheels Not Balanced ?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I had my front wheels off my truck to do some much needed powerwashing and I noticed there are no balance weights to be found on any of my wheels. Reading thru the manuals I have it never mentions balancing of wheels/tires. Since these vehicles can reach speeds of 50 miles an hour (downhill with a tailwind) I assume out of balance wheels would be an issue. Am I missing something, or are they balanced in a way I'm not familiar with? Just wondering......

thanks,
bob
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Wheels Not Balanced ?

Post by WarrenD »

When I had the new tires put on a few months ago, I asked the tire shop about balancing. He said don't waste your money. I've seen some M37s with wheel weights, but I haven't seen a photo yet of one in military service with wheel weights.

If you have the stock 5.83 gears, 42 mph is all you should do, engine will be at 2500rpm in 4th high. Flathead 6's will run for a very short time at high rpms before punching a rod thru the block. You'll find that it likes about 35mph and will run there all day long. Mine likes 30mph even better.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the reply. I looked a bit closer today and it turns out the big honking brake drum has a balance weight attached to it....but not the rim/wheel combo. Very confusing stuff these military vehicles. :o)

regards,
bob
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Bob,

Remember when these trucks where built and their purpose. People were not driving at high speeds and these trucks were designed to travel at the speed of walking. Support Infantry that is on foot. Therefore balancing tires were not needed. The wieght on the drum was to keep the drum true for stopping. (If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.)

If you want to balance your tire the best method I've seen is the package of wheel balance that you pour into the tire and it self balances. But I've heard mixed reviews on those products.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi K8,

Yeah, you bring up good points.......I'm just not used to seeing wheels not balanced. Were wheels on other military vehicles of the time balanced, like M38s and M35s?

regards,
bob
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Bob,

Not that I've ever seen. Most MVs until the more recent years been tube and tire combos. (Not talking M880s or CUCVs) Like I said the speed at which most of these vehicles travels was well slow. Even in the 70s and 80s when trucks like the M880s and CUCV could do 60 MPH they were limited by SOPs and in some cases regulations to 50 MPH. So that the truck that could do 60 would not out pace the ones that travel well at 50. Like the M35A2. It will run at 60 MPH all day long, but at least mine was happy at 50-55. Sixty or faster would start to get a little scarry.

Joe
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Joe
I will agree with you that M37's mostly run at speeds 50 and under,but if a tire is out of balance even at those speeds there is a tremendous force put on your steering components. 1/4 0z at 55 mph is equal to 25 lbs of force. I put all new tires on drove it and had a vibration wanting to start in the steering wheel ( there was a slight amount of play in the steering linkage already) so I had the tires balanced . They averaged 5.0 oz on each wheel which is not much considering the weight of wheel,tire,tube,and flap. After balancing I test drove and felt like I was on a cloud what a difference. I think it is just good practice to balance the wheels if nothing else as peace of mind if you were to ever get in a place where you had a run away down a hill you would be able to control it rather than shaking so bad it tears the steering wheel out of your hands and you crash. Basically what is it going to hurt? No the military did not balance the wheels,but maybe that's the reason so many of the M37's have worn out steering parts. :?: :idea:

I worked in a truck shop that used the balance in a bag and it seemed to due the trick in tubeless tires,but 900-16's run tubes.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HB has the only really solid reply in this thread thus far. ALL tire/wheel combinations must be balanced to achieve good on highway service and not destroy related components. Any decent M37 will run 55 MPH when you need too, although I'm not suggesting that you hold a totally stock M37 at that speed all day long. If yours will not, tires are the least of your worries. The type of tire you are running will make a huge difference in how well balance can be achieved. Many off road tire types are not truely round and will not balance well no matter what method is used, it's like trying to roll a football in lieu of a basketball.

The best way to balance these rim/tire combinations is on a computer balancer. Most reputable heavy truck tire shops are so equipped these days. If you come across an expert like was mentioned in an earlier post who says "don't waste your time balancing"; just walk away, he is either stupid, just doesn't want the job, or isn't properly equipped to handle the job.

The military didn't bother with balancing, convoy speeds were low, and they didn't expect these trucks to last through the desired time in military service in most cases, much less expecting them to ever be a collector's item as many are today.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Thanks for backing Me up Charles! it is a big factor in general maintenance.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I have 38" tubeless Michelins, and the balance in a bag works pretty good. It takes a 1/2 mile or so for them to round out and balance up, but, over all I'm moderately pleased with it. The one nice thing about it it every time you come to a stop, and reaccelerate, it rebalances the tire, so, it's always dynamically balancing itself.