Tow Hook Question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Tow Hook Question

Post by w30bob »

My M is missing the two front tow hooks and the tow hook brackets. I'm talking about the triangular brackets that are on top of the frame in the front of the truck where the bumper meets the frame rails. I've seen a few of these on eBay and in a few catalogs but they all say they are the "later thicker" brackets, not the "earlier thinner" ones. With my truck being made in '52 I assume I want to find the "earlier thinner" ones, no? Does anyone know when they changed over to the thicker ones? While I'm asking up a storm............does anyone have a pic of the "earlier thinner" ones?

Thanks in advance,
bob
Cal_Gary

Re: Tow Hook Question

Post by Cal_Gary »

If you're doing a "period correct" resto you'll want the thinner mounts. However, if you'll be using the tow shackles under heavy load, go to the later (thicker) mounts. Those on eBay claim to be the thicker pair. I'll check my sources to see about the transition date. I don't have a ready close up of the mounts, and frankly, I can't see any difference with the naked eye....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

The G741 parts book only lists one part number for the 2 tow hook brackets on the front bumper (they are also listed as the same part number whether you have a winch or non-winch bracket). The parts manual is usually pretty good on noting if things were changed during the production runs (usually with notes in the parts listing like "Used on vehicles SN xxxxxx thru SN xxxxxxxx" or something similar).
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

My Ahl resto guide has the -10 manual insert that lists the new NSN for the thicker mounts-I'll check it and post the data tomorrow evening.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500