Building a retro M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by k8icu »

With all that work you've done you're going with the original cats eyes tail lights? Get some modern GI LEDs so people can see you... :) The exhust looks great. Will you come to Cleveland and do mine when I get that point...lol! I like how you ran it inside the frame to the back much like a HMMWV.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I am not going to run those taillights. I getting the solid red covers. I wanted the exhaust to run up high, especially after I redid the rear crossmember. When you look at the truck from the side now You will not see anything below the frame in the middle of the truck. I think it looks tider that way.

....Update- cab is on now. All the gages have arrived. Going to get small parts painted now as I need them. Dash stuff first so I can do the electrical.... Cab pic.

dash mock up...... looks better than those paper gages i had ...lol

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

:mrgreen: <ME GREEN WITH ENVY... LOL!!! NICE WORK. REALLY NICE!!!! :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Latest update. I been putting stuff back in. Park brake pedal, heater, transfer case cable, battery and all the cables and then the wireing. All the wiring outside the cab is done exept for the front lights. I have now got into wiring the guages. Wow these are cool gages. Some of them have what they call pro control, which means I can set the time the relay comes on to run the cooling fans. the pro control gages have a waring light on them, whick you can set to come on at a specifiv temp. I still have a lot to learn what all they do. Even the Pyro has pro control, just dont have anything for it to control. Anyway here are some more pictures. I have decided I will let the gages control the cooling fans to a preset number, BUT, I am still going to run the manual switch which will override the gage setting so I can turn the cooling fans on and off when I want.

After the wiring is all in I'll fire it up.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adamkw12
PVT
PVT

Post by adamkw12 »

I have really enjoyed watching your build. It is really coming together. Keep up the awesome work and the pics coming.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Did I miss the ID of your "Defroster", I am guessing that it is going to be running just under the windscreen? Everything looks fantastic!!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Very impressed with your gauges, nice job !

Cheers
Stu
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Here is a video of the startup. It fairly large.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyLdSvmb ... detailpage
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Thanks for posting the video, the engine sounds good. I like how bright the gauges are. I can't wait to see the final product and the test drive video.

Keep up the good work.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Very exciting, gauge cluster is almost blinding! 8)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

The gauge cluster looks pretty bright in the video, but in real time it is not so blinding. If i see it is too bright at night I do have a dash dimmer to install into the system. wiring is almost done, just have the signal switch to do and the horn relay. I didn't realize that doing a wiring harness from scratch took this much concentration. Especially when the wires from the small gauges to the sensors had the wiring color all the same. Black, grey and white x 7. but they are done and tested and they are all correct. One firewall plug (22 pin) and the second one about 3/4 full (14 pins). Soon on to sandblast, paint and assemble the rest. Oh ya, go to do the power steering/hyrobooster hoses and the engine intercooler yet.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

I LOVE IT!!! M37 GALACTICA!!! THE DASHBOARD IS AWESOME!! AND IT SEEMS YOU DID A GREAT JOB WITH THE EXHAUST TOO, VERY QUIET FOR A CUMMINS 6!! REALLY NICE!! :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

If I could give one little thing here. Maybe you might want to switch the Tac and the Speedo position on the dash. The Speedo is a farther look than the Tac and may be a distraction when driving. Might not, but that is the one thing I saw that for me would have to be changed. I think your work is great and it inspires me.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

retiredguy wrote:The gauge cluster looks pretty bright in the video, but in real time it is not so blinding. If i see it is too bright at night I do have a dash dimmer to install into the system. wiring is almost done, just have the signal switch to do and the horn relay. I didn't realize that doing a wiring harness from scratch took this much concentration. Especially when the wires from the small gauges to the sensors had the wiring color all the same. Black, grey and white x 7. but they are done and tested and they are all correct. One firewall plug (22 pin) and the second one about 3/4 full (14 pins). Soon on to sandblast, paint and assemble the rest. Oh ya, go to do the power steering/hyrobooster hoses and the engine intercooler yet.

Where did you get the firewall plug and socket from and do you have part numbers? I was looking out for one of those and think they are a great idea.

Looking and sounding great, well done.

Cheers
Stu
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Another update. Oh ya, I will get you the part numbers for the firewall plug. IN the meantime here is some more pics.

building the intercooler tubes. the one on the driver's side was most difficult due to the power steering pump interferance.

then built a new grille

I made more bars because I did not like the wide open rad look. And bugs in the rad are bad enough but birds?........

Interior is done and all lights ad signals work including all gauges. Ordered all the body parts to finish and Monday the remainder is going to the sandblaster. Exept for the hard top. That will be done after the truck is on the road. .....

I will post an updated picture of the dash soon. I did put a dash light dimmer swith in, Hidden from view. Did not like the look of the knob, too new looking.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.