Oil filter confusion.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

CTgreen
PVT
PVT

Oil filter confusion.

Post by CTgreen »

I went to Napa and bought the filter specified for my truck, but it was shorter than the one that came out of the housing. The filter that was in there was a Fram CH6PL. It is about 4" in diameter, and about 5" long. Has my housing been changed? The Napa guy says there is no listing anywhere that shows a CH6PL in a Dodge truck. H.
Cal_Gary

Re: Oil filter confusion.

Post by Cal_Gary »

Our forum friend Carter advises it's a Napa Gold 1100....
Gary

http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4287
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

I had the same thing with my jeep I restored 4 years ago. That filter fits the cj2a housing among others. The Jr. Military filter housing was the same on all MB, GPW, WC Dodges, M-37 Dodges and I think the M-38 Jeeps. And it is a #1100. Wix uses 51100 I believe. Not sure about Fram and others.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I have never checked anywhere other than NAPA, every time I go for filters they have always had several on the shelf which I buy all of and ask them to order more which they must do since they have them when I need them. Have three on hand and next time I go I'll but all they have. Never know how long they will continue to be made.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I been using Wix filters in mine and stay away from anything that says Fram on it . I also have a magnet on my oil pan to help . I believe that Wix makes the 1100 Napa gold filters. Check out the link below. :wink:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfil ... rence.html

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING,
I just bought a new filter for my M. its a Hastings LF101. Same one I used on the last oil change.
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

I use Fram C3P for my Jeeps and C4P for my M series. I know a lot of stories are out there about Fram, but I don't see how the cartridge filters could be inferior to other brands.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Glenn wrote:I use Fram C3P for my Jeeps and C4P for my M series. I know a lot of stories are out there about Fram, but I don't see how the cartridge filters could be inferior to other brands.
Lots of folks say they don't SEE how they are inferior until they do SEE the result Fram leaves behind when the engine goes down. Then the engine builder has to share bad news and you get to think back saying to yourself, maybe those folks that told me about Fram inferiority really did have a point to share.

Cut a new Fram open and do an analysis of the filtering media and study closely the construction workmanship. You'll also have to open up a new premium quality filter such as a NAPA GOLD 1100 to compare; but if that's what it takes for you to understand that Fram is crap, destroying a filter will be money well wasted. Just look on the shelves of Wal-Mart, you see a vast selection of FRAM filters; surely you don't think the chief US market source for cheap junk is for some strange reason offering a top quality filter do you? The price is cheaper for a REASON.

I'd advise you to get rid of the Fram filters today; don't even think about waiting until it's time for the next oil change. Putting a top quality oil in the crankcase is also very important; using a premium filter with poor quality oil won't make much difference.

You can put good information to work in your favor, or you can get twisted with me for sharing the factual truths about Fram filters; that's totally up to you.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rc51racer
PFC
PFC

Post by rc51racer »

Here's a guy who took apart a bunch of filters:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

click on Opinions and Recommendations if you wanna see his conclusions, mirrors what Charles says about Fram.
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

I definitely use good oil. :) I was really just thinking about the fact that since the filters are in a canister that doesn't drain back, and are a bypass type anyway it's a different ball game. All of the discussion about filters that I've seen has been about spin on filters and their outer shell has been part of the discussion, along with anti-drain valves another part. A lot of the discussion to me didn't apply to cartridge type, of course the filter media certainly does apply. I don't feel like spending $20 cutting up filters, so in this case I'm thinking it has to be the filter media alone that is inferior, correct?
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:.....surely you don't think the chief US market source for cheap junk is for some strange reason offering a top quality filter do you?.
:D :D :D :D
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Glenn wrote:I definitely use good oil. :) I was really just thinking about the fact that since the filters are in a canister that doesn't drain back, and are a bypass type anyway it's a different ball game. All of the discussion about filters that I've seen has been about spin on filters and their outer shell has been part of the discussion, along with anti-drain valves another part. A lot of the discussion to me didn't apply to cartridge type, of course the filter media certainly does apply. I don't feel like spending $20 cutting up filters, so in this case I'm thinking it has to be the filter media alone that is inferior, correct?
Filter media material is a large part; but the construction of the filter as a whole also plays an important part. How well the media is attached to the end caps, end cap to center canister tube sealing, how well the whole assembly stands up to heat, flow requirements, as well as many other small factions that come into play can be huge killers or life savers when it comes to doing a proper oil cleansing job.

I completely understand you don't care to cut up new filters; however just an assumption that media quality has to be the only issue in play with this discussion could have a really high price tag attached.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

Well, I think I'll start checking out the other filters then. :)
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I'm not a Fram fan either....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500