Rear engine crankshaft seal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Rear engine crankshaft seal

Post by M37UK »

Following on from a post earlier regarding changing the rear oil seal.
I have finally completed the task and it only took 11 hours !! :evil:
Oil pan off, rear bearing removed, noticed that my seal was of the flanged type and is bolted on. bottom half of seal easy to remove from bearing. Top half, Arghhhh, can't get to the upper bolt that holds the top seal flange on because the flywheel is in the way.
I have an early M37 engine and these are the type of seals they used.
So, clutch cover removed, gearbox removed, clutch removed, flywheel removed and now can finally get to the bolt. Old seal removed and new half seal slid into place.
Flywheel re-attached, clutch installed, gearbox installed.
In comparison the front seal took around 1 hour!

I dont know how long these modern seals last but it had better be for as long as I own the truck !!
My engine has a rebuild plate on saying 1972 so I suppose 39 years isnt too bad.

Anyway, its done now and I should finally be free of oil leaks.
I would like to thank Charles for some technical support along the way.

If anybody else is considering doing the seals on their engine then I am always available for moral support ! :?
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
Cal_Gary

Re: Rear engine crankshaft seal

Post by Cal_Gary »

I did that job a few years back but mine has the split-seal with no bolts along with two "h" shaped pieces for the bearing cap. Glad you got it done!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
dwayneski

Post by dwayneski »

m37uk what year is yousr?
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING, I had my engine out two years ago, to repair a spun #6 connecting rod bearing. I had the crank re-ground and a new connecting rod, with o/s bearings. Anyhow, I replaced all the seals at that time, easy button. After I got the whole thing back together and driving it for two week I noticed I had a spring in the glove box, the clutch release bearing spring I never installed. My question: can I install this spring by pulling back the trans or do I have to pull back the bellhousing too?? I have been driving my M for the last two years w/o the spring and all is well. I know that the release bearing is probably spinning more that it should. but do I wait till I need a new bearing??
thanks
BOB
jordankjcm
CPL
CPL

Post by jordankjcm »

Good morning Bob. I have my engine out of my truck right now, with the bell housing attached sans transmission. The spring is easily accessible with the transmission off. No need for bell housing removal. Just my two cents worth, but for the little they cost vice the amount of labor it takes to remove the transmission, I would change the bearing while I had the transmission pulled back. You can get them for a decent price (just the bearing, not the carrier) if you want to go that route.

Jeff
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

HEY JEFF, Thanks, I replaced the bearing two years ago when I had the engine out, but would change it again when I pull the trans back. A spring project.
THANKS AGAIN BOB
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

dwayneski wrote:m37uk what year is yousr?
Hi, its a Dec 1952
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland