Craftsmans-sucking big time....

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Craftsmans-sucking big time....

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well folks, I mentioned needing a 5/8 open end wrench in order to remove my stubborn flywheel nuts so i picked up the top-of-the-line Craftsman combo wrench last night and tried it out this afternoon-didn't do $h!t but flex-the precursor to rounding off the nut. I remembered I'd picked up a set of combo ratchet-wrenches from GearWrench last year just before we moved to Utah, so I dug out the 5/8 and hoped for the best. No problem, that wrench didn't give diddly and broke the stubborn nuts loose without an issue-just another reason I am going to move away from Craftsman-their screwdrivers don't hold up, their ratchets don't ratchet smoothly, and now their open end wrenches open wider and say "ahhh".
Thanks for letting me vent,
Gary

Oh yeah, I dropped off both flywheels this afternoon and should have them back tomorrow. In the meantime I got the PTO mounted to the transmission and will commence with the install once I top off the GL90 (easy with the tranny top cover off!) and button up the top.
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Re: Craftsmans-sucking big time....

Post by T. Highway »

Gary,

I had the same experience with the Craftsman tools years ago. When I tried to get them exchanged I got nothing but *!#@* from the salesperson and his manager. I have not been back to a Sears store since. (roughly 12 years now)

I'm glad to hear that you found a tool to remove your flywheel and a shop to swap the ring gear for you.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

The Craftsmen tool line has many levels of quality. Batches found on sale in the stores and catalog are the bottom of the line. It is not always easy to find the top shelf unit in the stores but generally the highest priced unit in the catalog is usually a bit better than the China issue stuff. I still buy there occasionally when I need to put together a small kit for a vehicle or the house and when I am looking for a specialty item that does not need to be made out of kryptonite and is priced rediculously high at the major brands. The Craftsman tools being sold at Kmart are the bottom end tools. I can usually look at a wrench and determine very quickly just how much force it will handle and make my purchases accordingly.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

I've been working on heavy construction equipment for about 27 years now. I have a few of the older craftsmen tools ( back when the "C" in Craftsmen was inscribed with flat corners not rounded) that were my dads but those are kept home. The newer stuff just don't hold up anymore. In the line of work that I'm in I need something that will hold up to the beatings ,thrashings, etc. Thats why I have mostly Snap-on and some Mac tools here at my shop. Sure I have bent a few and broke a few of the higher end tools but they always take them back and give me new ones no questions asked.
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I've had decent luck, believe it or not, with Stanley wrenches. I originally bought them because the 10mm in the set was much longer than normal, about the length of a typical 14mm wrench, and I liked that I could get the extra leverage. Havent had any issues with them stretching or rounding stuff off.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Craftsman's-sucking big time....

Post by hbb »

I agree with both Cuz and Skinnedknuckles about the quality of the Craftsman tool line and I also primarily use Snap-On equipment. The Sears stores around here have be really good about exchanging the broken stuff out in-fact awhile back I bought a Snap-On top box full of tools at a garage sale and it was full of Snap-On,Mac,Proto,and Craftsman tools and I took in 30 pieces to Sears and walked out with new replacements,but I'll agree that the quality is not there anymore.I do the same as Cuz and put those tools in different vehicles so I don't have to carry my good iron and risk loosing it.
Buy the way that tool box was a once in a life time score, I paid $150.00 and there was about $2000.00 worth of just Snap-on tools in it not counting all of the rest of the special tools,It pays to stop at those garage sales from time to time. 8)

hb
Last edited by hbb on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

From the Dreaded Wikipedia (pseudo-correct informational portal on the 'net):

Craftsman is a line of tools and lawn and garden equipment controlled by Sears Holdings Corporation; the brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings for securitization purposes.[1]

The tools are sold in Sears, Kmart, and Orchard Supply Hardware stores (all three owned by Sears Holdings), as well as Fastenal,[2] US military Army and Air Force Exchange Service stores, and Ace Hardware.[3][4]

The Craftsman Industrial line is sold by industrial supplier W. W. Grainger[5].

Additionally, Craftsman Hand Tools are also sold at "The Craftsman Experience," the brand's retail venue in downtown Chicago.[6]

General hand tools have been made by a variety of manufacturers over the years including New Britain,[7] Moore Drop Forge,[8] Stanley,[9] Easco Hand Tools,[10] and most recently the Danaher Corporation[11] (wrenches, ratchets, and sockets) and Western Forge[12] (screwdrivers, pliers, and adjustable wrenches). Many newer tool designs are now imported, mostly from China. Craftsman-branded garage door openers are manufactured by The Chamberlain Group.[13]

Consumers have ranked the Craftsman brand second (surpassed only by Waterford Crystal) in terms of quality.[14] In 2007, Craftsman was named "America's Most Trusted Brand" and brand with "Highest Expectations".[15] In 2009, the readers of Popular Mechanics named Craftsman their favorite brand of hand tools in their Reader's Choice Awards.[16] Craftsman is the official tool brand of NASCAR and the DIY Network.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_%28tools%29
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia!

I've also experienced the declining quality of Craftsman tools.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

All depends on which "consumers" are doing the rating. Armchair mechanics who spend more time cleaning their tools than using them would like the shiny look and ignore the lack of quality. Just like some people only buy Sony. We are told it's the best and we believe. TV is truth..... :roll:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I was actually looking for a Snap-on or Matco truck as I drove to Sears-unfortunately I didn't see one. Anyway, I go my flywheels back-guess you know what I'll be doing tomorrow!
Thanks guys!
Gary
Last edited by Cal_Gary on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Craftsman's-sucking big time....

Post by hbb »

Gary
Take the whole set back to the store and demand a refund! Were the wrenches you bought the ones that are being advertised on TV? if so those are pure crap and are designed for the person that will really never use them..
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We still have some old craftsman, still used daily. Anything from the last 25 years has been on the decline to the point you couldn't give me the craftsman tools of today. As far as I'm concerned many are all from the same pile these days. Danaher has a facility in Mooresville, NC where many different tool brands are made to include craftsman and belive it or not MAC comes out the same door. MAC still has the high price tag, but has lost its luster just like many others. Over the last few years, snap-on has not impressed me either. Older stuff was top of the line, but my how things have changed.

When David Cial, (who post's here daily) was here some weeks back, he and I discussed tool quality a little bit. He is a sales associate at BDI, who is a distributor for Wright Tools. Our discussion continued via email after he returned home to Ohio. I had some experience with Wright tools years back and recalled how tough they were back then. David said he had recently inspected some of the tools and felt the quality was still there. He sent us a current full line catalog, and I decided to replace our ratchets and some combination wrenches that were showing a lot of wear, so I called David with an order. I've just had a chance the last couple of weeks to really put them to the test; I must say I was impressed. Ratchets are double pawl, work smoothly, and thus far flawlessly. I especially like the open end of the combination wrenches with the "Wright Grip" feature. They really do grip the fastener greatly reducing rounding of stubborn hex head bolts and nuts. They worked as well on tubing nuts as a tubing wrench, and are much easier to use. I have not noticed a tendancy of jaw spreading either. I expect to replace some other items in the near future. I like these better than any brand of current production tools we've had in the last few years since quality started to decline with some. Check them out if you have demanding tool needs.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I have a set of 20-25 year old craftsman that I have used over and over on everything from 1/4 M151s to M35s and M211s and every rusted locked up bolt in the world with no problems. Broken a few sockets in that time, but I have chalked that up to using the wrong socket for the job. Like on an impact to bust lug nuts loose. .. In the same vain I have cheep Kmart (before they were own by Sears) and even Harbor freight tools that I use with out much problem. Except the dam "vicegrip" tools I got from HF...those things suck! But the sockets and wrenches all seem to hold up fine. I have broken a one or two over the years, but for the most part have had no real issues. Except the above mentioned vicegrips.

Just my $.02 for the party!
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
98taco3
CPL
CPL

Post by 98taco3 »

I am also a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and have demanding needs for tools. 80% of my box is SK and I have had very few problems with them. The open end wrenches are great because of the thicker than normal handles on them. Really solves the problem that snap on has with their high end wrenches as their handles are so thin it will pulverize your hands pulling on them. Ive had to warranty out around 3-4 pieces of SK tooling over the last 5 years or so, all allen bolt sockets that I was using in a manner not recommended :mrgreen: Give them a look, much cheaper than the other large brands but have retained the quality. I have some of their tools that are at least 30 years old and the new stuff appears to have the same grit they did back then.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

I was fortunate to inherit 70's vintage Craftsman from my Dad. (thanks Pop). It definetly has a different density than the stuff sold now. I had several metric Craftsman wrenches I bought about 5 years ago where the open end flared out from only hand use.
Back in the 90's Sears had a "Professional Series" of polished wrenches that was awesome. I bought the 3/4- 1-1/4 sizes and they have not failed yet, and I even put cheater pipes on several during the disassembly of my truck. They quit offering that style about 3 years after I bought them. They have a "professional line" still, but they are slightly different.
I received a gift card this week and was in a Sears hardware yesterday looking to spend it. I picked up an impact wrench, in the box it weighed less than my old Snap-On. Then I saw made in China....The whole store had a feel of Harbor Frieght only in black and red...I left buying only a little air compressor Christmas tree ornament that was the cutest thing.
In a pinch I have picked up a few "Kobalt" wrenches from Lowes, not bad for a box store tool, so far no issues.
Charles, thanks for the plug in your post, the Wright line is still decent and made just down the road from me here in Ohio. Glad you are happy with your purchase.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".