Bought a Trailer Friday

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

T. Highway

Re: Bought a Trailer Friday

Post by T. Highway »

Carter wrote:Trailer has a 10,000 # capacity and with an M37 weighing in at 6050 # empty it should be OK but the dump truck is to light to pull that much safely.
Carter,

That trailer has electric trailer brakes doesn't it and your dumptuck has a brake controller in it right?

I pull 10K trailers behind F250 and F350 DIESEL pickup trucks on a daily basis with 8000 pound mini excavators or skidsteers with breakers and or Harley rakes that weight about 7000 - 8000 pounds. My trailers have electric brakes and are able to stop the pickup truck if you grab a handfull of the panic lever on the brake controller. I know this because I demand they check this on the roll before exiting the yard every day.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Elecrtic brakes on the trailer and I am installing the controller in the truck today but I pulled it home without one and would not try that loaded without it. The tractor I will be hauling weighs a little over 4000# so I should be good to go.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Carter. One can never have too many projects. Anyway sleeping in the dog house isn't all that bad, I have been in there since 1974.. LOL :lol: :lol:

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

77" sounds a little tight/small for an M37. Granted mine isn't stock, but I just fit an 80".
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Just checked the specs and it says that the M37 is 74" wide.
Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Every thing looks OK, wheel bearings good and well greased :D needs some deck work but I'll get to that and have to do something about the lack of visibility of those ramps on a dark night, all black against a black night, good way to get rear ended :shock: But, tags before starting on all that.[/quote]

Matt
You might put DOT reflective tape on the backside of the ramps it should stay on real well and that stuff can be seen from along way off if a light should shine on it. I use it on my trailers for the same reason and when I pull in the drive at night they show up as if they were lights. :wink:
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

W_A_Watson_II wrote:77" sounds a little tight/small for an M37. Granted mine isn't stock, but I just fit an 80".
I believe Matt is on the right track so my stock one with NDTs should fit just fine.

Carter
Life Member:
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

You might want to check on the capacity of those axles and tires. In all of the trailers that I have built here at my shop I have not seen a small bolt circle 5 stud 5000# axle, they have always been 3500# axles. The 6 stud axles are rated at 5200# . Two 3500# axles will hold a m37 marginally depending on the weight of the trailer. Federal law requires that trailers 80" or wider and GVWR of 10,000 or greater must have conspicuity treatment ( red-white reflective tape ) at least 50% of the total length and on the rear full width facing rearward. I put it on small trailers too just for piece of mind.
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

skinnedknuckles wrote:Federal law requires that trailers 80" or wider and GVWR of 10,000 or greater must have conspicuity treatment ( red-white reflective tape ) at least 50% of the total length and on the rear full width facing rearward.
Where do they measure the 80"? Deck width or overall trailer width? Sounds like I need to add some conspicuity treatment (12K GVWR).
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

skinnedknuckles wrote:You might want to check on the capacity of those axles and tires. In all of the trailers that I have built here at my shop I have not seen a small bolt circle 5 stud 5000# axle, they have always been 3500# axles. The 6 stud axles are rated at 5200# . Two 3500# axles will hold a m37 marginally depending on the weight of the trailer. Federal law requires that trailers 80" or wider and GVWR of 10,000 or greater must have conspicuity treatment ( red-white reflective tape ) at least 50% of the total length and on the rear full width facing rearward. I put it on small trailers too just for piece of mind.
Good info on the axles, I'll ck and see what they are rated for. Like you said if they are 3500# ones won't be hauling the M on it but the plan was always to use it to move the tractor. Looks like a roll or two of reflective tape is in it's future.

Side note: Have called and stopped to see the seller and get the title and he is always gone or lets the answering machine get the calls but never returns mine. Wonder if he actually has one?
Carter
Life Member:
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Carter wrote:

Side note: Have called and stopped to see the seller and get the title and he is always gone or lets the answering machine get the calls but never returns mine. Wonder if he actually has one?
I've had that happen to me before as well. Wonder if he has one or if he can find it (the title...... I mean :mrgreen: )?
Matt
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

80" is measured overall width. You might want to do some shopping around on the reflective tape, it's pricey :shock: for good stuff that will last and stay stuck. I usually get it in 150' rolls and I have paid well over $100.00 probably closer to $200.00. A 53' semi trailer will eat up a roll in a hurry :roll:
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Just found the regulation. It's a Commercial Motor Vehicles requirement, and as I'm a private vehicle, It's not required, but a good idea.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/consp.pdf
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

MikeOneSix wrote:
Carter wrote:

I've had that happen to me before as well. Wonder if he has one or if he can find it (the title...... I mean :mrgreen: )?
Matt
Finally got the title Friday, at his shop the seller would not talk to me but gave it to a employee to give me and then the owner went outside and drove away without ever telling me what took so long to get it to me. :shock: Think he was unhappy because I told him my lawyer would be in contact with him if he continued to stall. I had called a doz. times and left messages no reply, made eight visits to his shop to get it, he had said it was at home, in another truck, that another employee had it and he was in a meeting and also he would bring to my home.
Carter
Life Member:
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Carter wrote: Finally got the title Friday, at his shop the seller would not talk to me but gave it to a employee to give me and then the owner went outside and drove away without ever telling me what took so long to get it to me. :shock: Think he was unhappy because I told him my lawyer would be in contact with him if he continued to stall. I had called a doz. times and left messages no reply, made eight visits to his shop to get it, he had said it was at home, in another truck, that another employee had it and he was in a meeting and also he would bring to my home.
I've had similar experiences. Wonder what his deal was that he didn't want to give up that title?
Matt