Front Differential Update

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

pfrederi
CPL
CPL

Front Differential Update

Post by pfrederi »

I got my front differential that had been acting up http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4183 out and disassembled. Charles was spot on (as usual) with his diagnosis. One spider gear shaft was in three pieces, there were some teeth missing and the other teeth seriously chewed up. The manual describes a fairly involved process using an acetylene torch to heat up the differential case to open it....no need here, all three pins in the cap were sheared off and the cap was partly unscrewed.

The good news is that the ring gear is undamaged and while the pinion has some nicks on the end it is usable. Also the pinion bearings are OK.

Now what I need is a differential case and all the innards, (or at least a good case as the innards are available as a kit) but at least that is something that is mailable. (Any one have one???)

A question however. How do you remove the roller bearings from each end of the differential case?

The manual shows a puller adapter that I don't have. I have flange pullers but the bearing is pressed tight against the case and there is no lip of the bearing exposed for the flange puller to grab. I did locate two very small notches in the case under the bearing but my gear puller legs that will fit in the small notches are to short to reach under the bearing rollers and the bigger legs are too wide to fit in the notches.
Paul f
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: Front Differential Update

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

If you don't have a locker in the rear, consider swapping the rear differential into the front, and picking up an ARB for use in rear. It has it's own complete carrier.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I wouldn't recommend a take-out carrier. 99% of the ones that are out there will have worn out spider gear and side gear thrust washers, which is very likely where the problem you have now first originated from and got progressively worse. The special tools needed for carrier bearing cone removal and case cap removal and installation is a must if you get a good build job. We made all ours, but that would be cost prohibitive just for doing the job once or twice.

An ARB in the rear is a very good suggestion, that is a great unit.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
pfrederi
CPL
CPL

Post by pfrederi »

Well as usual repairs took far longer than anticipated but she was out for a drive yesterday and there were no strange noises from the rebuilt front differential. Many thanks to powerwagontim who provided me a T/O differential and the rebuild kit (and builds a heck of a shipping crate!!).
Overhauling the differential was certainly an experience. (and a great opportunity to pick up a new toy (a Victor Oxy/Acetylene torch set). You really have to heat the case a lot to get it to unscrew. Manual calls for a drift pin & hammer followed by a special wrench. Turns out an air chisel with a blunted tip worked well. Had to stop and reheat twice to get it off. I really wanted to get a clamshell bearing puller but at over $300 for a good one it was cheaper to buy new bearings.

Took several tries to get the bearings adjusted correctly to yield correct backlash. (My jury rigged measuring device looked a little like the one in the manual but didn't work that well).

To put the cover back on I heated the case in my oven at 325 for awhile and put the top in the freezer. Used the air chisel again to tighten it while a friend stood buy with 2 aligning pins so i could get the holes lined up...There is very little working time before you need to reheat.

In for a penny in for a pound I got a Pinion seal kit from Charles, not cheap but very nicely made.

I realized that I should replace the gasket so I got one from Adirondack Dodge. (Later while searching my parts shelf for a breather vent that i know I bought a few of at Aberdeen a few years ago, I found I had not 1 but 2 Differential gaskets...I really need to develop an inventory listing of parts I have accumulated over the years)

While the axle was off I use that new Copper nickel Iron brake line material to fab new lines. They should have invented that stuff years ago so much easier to shape!!!

Put the differential back in the axle and then had to put i back on the truck by myself. Used a couple of homemade moving dollies and some blocks, went surprisingly well with a minimum of cursing. :-)

Anyway we should get some snow and ice soon so i will be able to confirm she works OK but no strange noises and no drips yet!!!

Thank you all
Paul f
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Paul,
Thats great! The best way to learn these things is to get in there and do it!
Good job.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

I LIKE STORIES WITH HAPPY ENDINGS :) .
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

SOTVEN wrote:I LIKE STORIES WITH HAPPY ENDINGS :) .

I agree Happy endings are the best followed by a smoke,drink and a nap.God love em. :mrgreen:
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!