Fluid Level in Diff

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Fluid Level in Diff

Post by WarrenD »

I have the CD on order (since last week so should be here soon?) but as I'm headed for a show in the next few days, I'm doing the prep now. I checked the fluid level in the rear diff and it's about 3/8" below the bottom of the fill plug hole. Is this correct or should it be level with the fill hole? Truck is on level garage floor and I know the pinion seal has been leaking, so I'm thinking I should add some but wanted to check first.
Thanks in advance, as I learn stuff, I will pay it back.
Chuck
PVT
PVT

Re: Fluid Level in Diff

Post by Chuck »

The gear lube doesn't have to be running out of the fill hole.A" little" below is ok. That diff. lube was just changed in July when I did the the rear bearings and seals.
Chuck
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

Ok, Thanks "Chuck"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

This reply may be too little too late, as I haven't been to this site in a few days; but if the level is down and you know the pinion seal is leaking; the smart thing to do is fill it up to the plug opening, and carry some extra oil along on the trip. In a unit that is not leaking, a little below check plug level is just fine, but you never know when the leak could get worse while driving. Keep a close check on the level, and get the leak repaired properly asap. Taking chances with a diff just can't be considered wise, it will cost more to rebuild one completely than any other single unit on the truck.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

Thanks Charles. You make a good point.