Surgical light / lighting in an M42 ? ?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Surgical light / lighting in an M42 ? ?

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

I came across a decent ambulance that is in good condition in the rear, but as usual, the lighting has been striped. There seemed to be a larger light towards the front, and a smaller one towards the rear.
I really doubt that you would find the proper surgical light, but what have you guys done with ambulance lighting in the rear ? ?
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Surgical light / lighting in an M42 ? ?

Post by monkeymissile »

Hi Tom,
Mercifully my ambulance had all the lighting intact and functioning, just all the rear guts stripped out (stretchers, etc). The larger front light was a swiveling, retractable surgical light with a blue lens (presumably to help see blood better) and the smaller rear one just had a tiny lamp and switch, pretty much a dome light. That one should be fairly easy to replace with something close to original (I think I saw something at Saturn Surplus), but the front one would take some creativity to replace. Being in the lighting profession, I'd probably just find a 24v LED fixture to use, something like this perhaps, but with white not RGB LEDs (http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/colorburst6/).
A quick google of "24 volt LED adjustable work light" turned up some interesting results from Magnalight and Truck-Lite.....
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

Midwest used to have the surgical lights, I think VPW does as well. Veteran Vehicles in Mass has a bunch of parts M43s. Last resort, the guy that bought my M43 got 2 spare light fixtures with te truck. I think I still have one of the dome lights here somewhere.
Rick C
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

Just FYI the smaller light has a red lens, and is oval shaped. And I think you meant M43 in your title?
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Yeah...I kinda figured it was a typo, too. The "2" and the "3"" are right next to each other (at least they are on my keyboard.) ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

Lifer wrote:Yeah...I kinda figured it was a typo, too. The "2" and the "3"" are right next to each other (at least they are on my keyboard.) ;)
Same here. :mrgreen: